July 2018 Currrent Conditions & Forecasts

Moderators: Abby_wx, Leighbugs

Mattman
Seriously Into Weather

Re: July 2018 Currrent Conditions & Forecasts

Postby Mattman » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:53 am

Rain_Down_On_Me wrote:
SardisBCwxman wrote:28c so far is my high out here in Sardis land. The media is already ramping up bout heat and fires in the interior. :roll:

I am so confused...I read the global news story. There is heat and fires are kicking up. A dry cold front is coming through on Friday which could start many more. Didn't see anything wrong with the story. I will remain optimistic that we can get some rain at some point, but certainly not in the next two weeks.

Dry cold fronts have the potential to be disastrous if the conditions are right. Case in point was the Silver Creek fire in Salmon Arm in '98. In late July some pop-up thunderstorms emerged after a couple weeks of intense heat. Lightning caused the fire, which didn't get much attention. After another week of hot, dry, stagnant weather, a dry cold front blew through.

Rain_Down_On_Me
Weather Fanatic

Postby Rain_Down_On_Me » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:38 am

Mattman wrote:
Rain_Down_On_Me wrote:
SardisBCwxman wrote:28c so far is my high out here in Sardis land. The media is already ramping up bout heat and fires in the interior. :roll:

I am so confused...I read the global news story. There is heat and fires are kicking up. A dry cold front is coming through on Friday which could start many more. Didn't see anything wrong with the story. I will remain optimistic that we can get some rain at some point, but certainly not in the next two weeks.

Dry cold fronts have the potential to be disastrous if the conditions are right. Case in point was the Silver Creek fire in Salmon Arm in '98. In late July some pop-up thunderstorms emerged after a couple weeks of intense heat. Lightning caused the fire, which didn't get much attention. After another week of hot, dry, stagnant weather, a dry cold front blew through.

Exactly!

Also I'm in the Yukon right now. Came outside of the music venue last night at 12:05 am and it was STILL BRIGHT OUT :o :shock: Weather has been rainy and cloudy though, but the people here are used to cold apparently :lol: I would highly recommend Whitehorse to anybody looking for a summer touring spot, the people here are mint.

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Glacier » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:30 pm

Rain_Down_On_Me wrote:Also I'm in the Yukon right now. Came outside of the music venue last night at 12:05 am and it was STILL BRIGHT OUT :o :shock: Weather has been rainy and cloudy though, but the people here are used to cold apparently :lol: I would highly recommend Whitehorse to anybody looking for a summer touring spot, the people here are mint.

Whitehorse is one of my favourite cities. Everything goes late in the summer months. Last time I was there it was 30 degrees... well, only like 27, but 30 something in Dawson, which is both the hottest place in the Yukon in the summer and the coldest place in the winter.

Whitehorse has very mild winters relative to anything north (Dawson), east (Watson Lake), or west (Haines Junction).

SardisBCwxman
Charter Member
Former Username: Missionbcwx

Postby SardisBCwxman » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:09 pm

Sitting @ 27c out here in Sardis and we have a special weather statement issued. Of course the hot warning will follow. :roll:
All l want for Christmas is a tin of sardines

SardisBCwxman
Charter Member

Postby SardisBCwxman » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:11 pm

Rain_Down_On_Me wrote:
Mattman wrote:
Rain_Down_On_Me wrote:

Exactly!

Also I'm in the Yukon right now. Came outside of the music venue last night at 12:05 am and it was STILL BRIGHT OUT :o :shock: Weather has been rainy and cloudy though, but the people here are used to cold apparently :lol: I would highly recommend Whitehorse to anybody looking for a summer touring spot, the people here are mint.
Can you still walk down the dirt roads up there with a Bud light in your hands Mr. Pouring rain? 8-)

SardisBCwxman
Charter Member

Postby SardisBCwxman » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:40 pm

Hey Stuffy is your girlfriend impressed with the size of your veggies. :lol: :mrgreen:

SardisBCwxman
Charter Member

Postby SardisBCwxman » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:14 pm

Geesh where is everybody on a bender or in a freezer during this hot spell, even reliable Jr. is missing. :?

Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Location: south surrey-white rock,near semiahmoo mall, elevation 377 ft

Postby Forrest Gump » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:58 pm

SardisBCwxman wrote:Geesh where is everybody on a bender or in a freezer during this hot spell, even reliable Jr. is missing. :?

So when's your next trip to Kentucky lake? I'm going to whistler next week,plan on a little trout fishing and a game of golf if I can get my lower back to heal up in time. Whistler has truly become an all year recreation destination, with all the walking and biking trails,lakes,etc and now they've built a new suspension bridge at 7200 feet elevation.
http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/whistler ... dge-photos
The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
Psalm 19:1

SardisBCwxman
Charter Member

Postby SardisBCwxman » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:06 pm

Forrest Gump wrote:
SardisBCwxman wrote:Geesh where is everybody on a bender or in a freezer during this hot spell, even reliable Jr. is missing. :?

So when's your next trip to Kentucky lake? I'm going to whistler next week,plan on a little trout fishing and a game of golf if I can get my lower back to heal up in time. Whistler has truly become an all year recreation destination, with all the walking and biking trails,lakes,etc and now they've built a new suspension bridge at 7200 feet elevation.
http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/whistler ... dge-photos
Most likely my next rotation of 4 days off we'll do Kentucky/Allyne. Also want to check out Whistler haven't been there since 2011.

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Postby Abby_wx » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:38 am

I see that the UV index forecast is 8 for both today and tomorrow. My peak UV index for the last two days was only 6.3. Why would it suddenly increase to 8? UV levels aren't correlated with temperature, as far as I know.

My highest UV index of the year was 7.6 on July 1st. That was a day with broken cloudcover and even some showers. In fact, the highest UV readings occur on partly cloudy days due to refraction of the sun's rays off the clouds. Snowcover also causes a similar effect.

There are no clouds expected this weekend, so I don't expect the UV index will be above 7. It will probably be about the same as the last two days. That said, I still wouldn't lay in the sun without wearing sunscreen. :lol:

The WHO lists Vancouver's maximum UV index as 7 in June and July. I assume this is for clear skies. http://www.who.int/uv/intersunprogramme ... ndex3.html
"It's not logical... it's meteorological."

Near Hwy 1 McCallum exit; elevation 55 m (180 ft).
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... =IBCABBOT1

Return to “[BC] British Columbia Weather Discussions”