Weather stations EC (pictures)

Interested in meteorology? If you like discussing weather patterns, climate, wacky weather, models etc. This is the place for you!

Moderator: Catnip

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Re: Weather stations EC (pictures)

Postby Glacier » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:23 pm

A friend of mine's grandma used to operate the Kleena Kleene weather station from 1980 to 2006. One time I was over there in the early 2000s at Christmas time and noticed that my friend's dad had plowed the snow for the grandma, but the rain gauge was not exactly level because it had been bumped (I assume) by the plow that had cleared the snow right up to it. I wonder if that's why Kleena Kleene is drier than Osoyoos. It could very well be drier, but even a small tilt in the rain gauge could shift the numbers a bit (though maybe it was fixed by summer, I don't know).

Fun fact. I know the person who operated: Kleena Kleene. I also know the person who operated Tatlayoko Lake (he passed away in the late 2000s when in his 90s), the person who operated Lunch Lake (they both passed away recently at about the age of 90), and also the couple who operated another station in the area (Mosley Creek) until the mid-90s. The couple today is in their mid-90s.

In the case of the Tatlayoko Lake station, Harry inherited it from his mom who started operating the station way back in the 1920s. Because this station had been in operation for so long they installed an automated station in the 2000s to replace it. The problem is, automated stations suck donkey nuts because they fail at properly recording precipitation. For example, it has recorded something like 20 days of precipitation this month even though there hasn't been any! Either the birds are crapping all over the station or the tipping bucket keeps getting bumped.

In any case, when I was young in the early 80s there were five weather stations (forestry also operated a station at Tatla Lake). Today, there is just one station left, and it's automated and glitches all the time.

This is what Canada has become. We keep losing data on the ground in rural and northern Canada. Sad really because we are supposed to be tracking climate change, but we don't even have the monitoring stations in place to measure climate change.
Last edited by Glacier on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

SardisBCwxman
Charter Member
Former Username: Missionbcwx

Postby SardisBCwxman » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:17 pm

Glacier wrote:A friend of mine's grandma used to operate the Kleena Kleene weather station from 1980 to 2006. One time I was over there in the early 2000s at Christmas time and noticed that my friend's dad had plowed the snow for the grandma, but the rain gauge was not exactly level because it had been bumped (I assume) by the plow that had cleared the snow right up to it. I wonder if that's why Kleena Kleene is drier than Osoyoos. It could very well be drier, but even a small tilt in the rain gauge could shift the numbers a bit (though maybe it was fixed by summer, I don't know).

Fun fact. I know the person who operated: Kleena Kleene. I also know the person who operated Tatlayoko Lake (he passed away in the late 2000s when in his 90s), the person who operated Lunch Lake (they both passed away recently at about the age of 90), and also the couple who operated another station in the area (Mosley Creek) until the mid-90s. The couple today is in their mid-90s.

In the case of the Tatlayoko Lake station, Harry inherited it from his mom who started operating the station way back in the 1920s. Because this station had been in operation for so long they installed an automated station in the 2000s to replace it. The problem is, automated stations suck donkey nuts because they fail at properly recording precipitation. For example, it has recorded something like 20 days of precipitation this month even though there hasn't been any! Either the birds are crapping all over the station or the tipping bucket keeps getting bumped.

In any case, when I was young in the early 80s there were five weather stations (forestry also operated a station at Tatla Lake). Today, there is just one station left, and it's automated and glitches all the time.

This is what Canada has become. We keep losing data on the ground in rural and northern Canada. Sad really because we are support to be tracking climate change, but we don't even have the monitoring stations in place to measure climate change.
Fun fact: l knew a guy that operated West Coast Amusements :lol:
Sardine Can

Canada Goose
Weather Fanatic

Postby Canada Goose » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:39 pm

SardisBCwxman wrote:Terrible its over a metal grate plus over water? the temp. over water never drops below 0c :lol: what a waste.

We agree that's not a good location. Nevertheless, this station represents the climate of the (extreme) ocean coast. I don't think the environment of the station influences the temperature very much.

Canada Goose
Weather Fanatic

Postby Canada Goose » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:40 pm

SardisBCwxman wrote:Yup should have used Gumpball's house. :lol: for White Rock, actually the Pitt Meadows station is not that bad given the location and proximity to the road and parking lot.

Both are overexposed. Too warm on sunny days with low wind, especially in summer.

Canada Goose
Weather Fanatic

Postby Canada Goose » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:45 pm

Glacier wrote:This is what Canada has become. We keep losing data on the ground in rural and northern Canada. Sad really because we are support to be tracking climate change, but we don't even have the monitoring stations in place to measure climate change.

Good summary... :x

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Glacier » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:26 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Canada Goose
Weather Fanatic

Postby Canada Goose » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:51 pm

Glacier wrote:Duncan (North Cowichan)

Already posted on page 1. ;)

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Glacier » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:37 am

Canada Goose wrote:Already posted on page 1. ;)

Oops! :oops:

Okay, let's try one that hasn't been covered. Merritt. A relatively new station There is the manual one at the sewage treatment plant somewhere here (I've looked hard for it and can't find it's location on Google), but the new one is across the Coquihalla highway from the airport. I had no idea Merritt had a paved runway until now. I've even been to the Walmart right on the north edge of the airport, and didn't see it. Anyway, here it is...

merritt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Weather, Climate & Meteorology”