May 2018 Current Conditions and Forecasts

Moderators: Abby_wx, Leighbugs

User avatar
Glacier
Weather Enthusiast
Posts: 2267
Location: Okanagan

Re: May 2018 Current Conditions and Forecasts

Postby Glacier » Mon May 14, 2018 12:53 pm

Canada Goose wrote:Of course!

By the way, this is very suspicious... Today in Pemberton.

07:00 n/a 10 (9.6)
06:00 n/a 4 (3.5)
05:00 n/a 10 (9.6)
04:00 n/a 10 (9.6)
03:00 n/a 10 (9.6)
02:00 n/a 10 (9.6)

Interesting. Here's something else interesting. The Pemberton Airport has two weather stations. Pemberton CS (this station) plus Pemberton (Wind), which records wind plus temperature. They don't match at all!

The Wind station is 1.3 m lower, and yet they are very different in terms of temperatures. It's really weird how different they are. Wind was 31C and CS was 34? And the day before Wind was 30 and CS was 28? And in both cases the temperature sticks at 9.6C for hours at a time? And then 3.5 for one hour, and then back to 9.6 just like it did in your example?

And the day before it was 9.6 for hours in a row. So 5 days in a row it's 9.6C for most of the night?

Yup, that station is very suspicious.
Last edited by Glacier on Mon May 14, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Canada Goose
Weather Fanatic
Posts: 578
Location: Coquitlam/Port Moody, BC (68 m)
Contact:

Re: May 2018 Current Conditions and Forecasts

Postby Canada Goose » Mon May 14, 2018 1:07 pm

Glacier wrote:Yup, that station is very suspicious.

Yes, that's why I questioned about it.

To me, there's a problem with that (yesterday):

14:00 27.9 5.7 25
15:00 32.9 -4.3 9
16:00 34.0 -3.5 9
17:00 27.9 6.6

Anyway, there's a LOT of problems with EC stations, so I'm very doubtful about datas. I need to SEE the weather stations before, even if sensors could be not accurate too...
For example, West Vancouver and Pitt Meadows are too warm because of underexposition (trees for the first, roads for the second).

User avatar
Glacier
Weather Enthusiast
Posts: 2267
Location: Okanagan

Re: May 2018 Current Conditions and Forecasts

Postby Glacier » Mon May 14, 2018 1:48 pm

Canada Goose wrote:Anyway, there's a LOT of problems with EC stations, so I'm very doubtful about datas. I need to SEE the weather stations before, even if sensors could be not accurate too...
For example, West Vancouver and Pitt Meadows are too warm because of underexposition (trees for the first, roads for the second).

The Oliver STP station is sitting over top of rocks! I know because I visited the Sewage Treatment Plant one day, and there it was in the middle of a turnaround (filled with rocks).

See here for picture: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=130&p=2435#p2435

User avatar
Canada Goose
Weather Fanatic
Posts: 578
Location: Coquitlam/Port Moody, BC (68 m)
Contact:

Re: May 2018 Current Conditions and Forecasts

Postby Canada Goose » Mon May 14, 2018 1:59 pm

Glacier wrote:The Oliver STP station is sitting over top of rocks! I know because I visited the Sewage Treatment Plant one day, and there it was in the middle of a turnaround (filled with rocks).

See here for picture: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=130&p=2435#p2435

looool Barkerville is nice too! :shock:

User avatar
AbbyJr
Weather Enthusiast
Posts: 4174
Location: Central Abbotsford 50 m ASL

Re: May 2018 Current Conditions and Forecasts

Postby AbbyJr » Mon May 14, 2018 8:11 pm

Phew! No catastrophic Fraser Valley flood forecasted by the BC River Forecast Centre. Levels not expected to even be close to 1948. I'm sure the media will find some way to make it look and sound a lot worse than what is likely to happen :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 8.09.05 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Typeing3
Weather Enthusiast
Posts: 4545
Location: Coquitlam, Elevation 25m (80ft)

Re: May 2018 Current Conditions and Forecasts

Postby Typeing3 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:50 am

Canada Goose wrote:
Typeing3 wrote:First 30C temp of the year! Currently 30.2C...and still climbing.

Hello,
Could you post a pic of your weather station? :)

IMG_20180514_172423.jpg


Nothing too special here. Got this a couple years back and I've found it to be very reliable and accurate when comparing my temp with various other stations around me on weather underground. It came with a small digital temp sensor which is outside (at the time of taking this pic, it was out of battery) showing the current temperature on the top right of the screen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
East Coquitlam. Elevation 25m(80ft).

Spring/Summer 2018
Last freeze: April 2 (-0.8C)
First 15C: March 11 (17.9C)
First 20C: March 12 (21.4C)
First 25C: April 24 (25.3C)
First 30C: May 13 (30.8C)
Hottest Temp 2018: 31.3C (May 14)

User avatar
Typeing3
Weather Enthusiast
Posts: 4545
Location: Coquitlam, Elevation 25m (80ft)

Re: May 2018 Current Conditions and Forecasts

Postby Typeing3 » Tue May 15, 2018 12:55 am

Eye candy in the long range.
Image
Image
East Coquitlam. Elevation 25m(80ft).

Spring/Summer 2018
Last freeze: April 2 (-0.8C)
First 15C: March 11 (17.9C)
First 20C: March 12 (21.4C)
First 25C: April 24 (25.3C)
First 30C: May 13 (30.8C)
Hottest Temp 2018: 31.3C (May 14)

User avatar
Canada Goose
Weather Fanatic
Posts: 578
Location: Coquitlam/Port Moody, BC (68 m)
Contact:

Re: May 2018 Current Conditions and Forecasts

Postby Canada Goose » Tue May 15, 2018 5:29 am

Typeing3 wrote:Nothing too special here. Got this a couple years back and I've found it to be very reliable and accurate when comparing my temp with various other stations around me on weather underground. It came with a small digital temp sensor which is outside (at the time of taking this pic, it was out of battery) showing the current temperature on the top right of the screen.

Thanks. I mean where the sensor is? ;)

Coquitlam79
Seriously Into Weather
Posts: 159
Former Username: fox1013
Location: Pipeline road near town centre park, Coquitlam

Re: May 2018 Current Conditions and Forecasts

Postby Coquitlam79 » Tue May 15, 2018 11:02 am

Cliff Mass mentions in a post today that Seattle might have their driest May on record. Not on pace for the warmest though. Already the fire danger is high, according to the the West Vancouver fire station board. Small fire on Mt Brunswick. Very early to be talking fires already.

User avatar
Glacier
Weather Enthusiast
Posts: 2267
Location: Okanagan

Re: May 2018 Current Conditions and Forecasts

Postby Glacier » Tue May 15, 2018 11:54 am

AbbyJr wrote:Phew! No catastrophic Fraser Valley flood forecasted by the BC River Forecast Centre. Levels not expected to even be close to 1948. I'm sure the media will find some way to make it look and sound a lot worse than what is likely to happen :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Here's one for you...

nicola2.png


Also, I agree with you. The media has absolutely no sense of context. Let's think about this logically for a second. There are let's say 1000 creeks in Canada that could cause major flooding (it's probably higher than that, but I'm just picking a nice round number). Now, given that, there will be on average 10 creeks per year reaching 1 in 100 year flood events. So it sounds unheard of to have 1 in 100 year events, but in actual fact, they happen almost every year, and when they don't the next year will have 20 creeks hitting those levels to balance out the average.

EDIT: I just looked it up and the government has 1900 monitoring stations in Canada.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Return to “[BC] British Columbia Weather Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests