Alberta weather - 2018

User avatar
Glacier
Weather Enthusiast
Posts: 2228
Location: Okanagan

Re: Alberta weather - 2018

Postby Glacier » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:00 pm

lightningmanAB wrote:For Nunavut, drought conditions were not analyzed. When did the snowpack become above normal? The date on the map is Jan 31st so hopefully the extra snow has eased some of the drought in the BC interior. The drought in southern Sask is real and for now is a concern... until they get some rain.

Jan 31st/Feb 1st snow pack update indicated normal or above in most of BC. Since then it's far above normal, especially up around Williams Lake where it's been the wettest February on record.

User avatar
lightningmanAB
Weather Nut
Posts: 371

Re: Alberta weather - 2018

Postby lightningmanAB » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:20 pm

A roof at an arena in Calgary has collapsed this afternoon. I assume the weight of the snow on the roof was the primary cause.
roof.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
lightningmanAB
Weather Nut
Posts: 371

Re: Alberta weather - 2018

Postby lightningmanAB » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:33 pm

Glacier wrote:
lightningmanAB wrote:For Nunavut, drought conditions were not analyzed. When did the snowpack become above normal? The date on the map is Jan 31st so hopefully the extra snow has eased some of the drought in the BC interior. The drought in southern Sask is real and for now is a concern... until they get some rain.

Jan 31st/Feb 1st snow pack update indicated normal or above in most of BC. Since then it's far above normal, especially up around Williams Lake where it's been the wettest February on record.

I should look into it further but I suspect that because the soil moisture was depleted so badly last summer perhaps the precipitation as of Jan 31st did not fully end the drought conditions yet.

User avatar
Typeing3
Weather Enthusiast
Posts: 4545
Location: Coquitlam, Elevation 25m (80ft)

Re: Alberta weather - 2018

Postby Typeing3 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:24 am

Bad news for the developping drought in Saskatchewan...
Image
East Coquitlam. Elevation 25m(80ft).

Spring/Summer 2018
Last freeze: April 2 (-0.8C)
First 15C: March 11 (17.9C)
First 20C: March 12 (21.4C)
First 25C: April 24 (25.3C)
First 30C: May 13 (30.8C)
Hottest Temp 2018: 31.3C (May 14)

User avatar
lightningmanAB
Weather Nut
Posts: 371

Re: Alberta weather - 2018

Postby lightningmanAB » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:06 am

Typeing3 wrote:Bad news for the developping drought in Saskatchewan...
Image


Yikes.
Hopefully the forecast from NOAA verifies instead:
p01.2c.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
lightningmanAB
Weather Nut
Posts: 371

Re: Alberta weather - 2018

Postby lightningmanAB » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:02 am

Today's 12Z GFS has brought a little hope for south Sask. This solution is different than previous runs. Most of this precip progged is from a system that may cross the area on Saturday. Hope it holds:
GFS1.JPG

GFS2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
lightningmanAB
Weather Nut
Posts: 371

Re: Alberta weather - 2018

Postby lightningmanAB » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:57 am

Watching the evolution of the storm this weekend from run to run. Hoping for more precip for eastern Montana but at least parts of southern Sask are still progged to get a little moisture:
GFS1.JPG

GFS2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
lightningmanAB
Weather Nut
Posts: 371

Re: Alberta weather - 2018

Postby lightningmanAB » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:57 am

The areas affected by drought in the US northern plains will receive some good precipitation according to the GFS. Lines up nicely. Good for crops and summer storms!
droughtUSA.JPG

GFSMar2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Typeing3
Weather Enthusiast
Posts: 4545
Location: Coquitlam, Elevation 25m (80ft)

Re: Alberta weather - 2018

Postby Typeing3 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:51 pm

lightningmanAB wrote:The areas affected by drought in the US northern plains will receive some good precipitation according to the GFS. Lines up nicely. Good for crops and summer storms!
droughtUSA.JPG
GFSMar2.JPG

Good for southern SK and MB as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
East Coquitlam. Elevation 25m(80ft).

Spring/Summer 2018
Last freeze: April 2 (-0.8C)
First 15C: March 11 (17.9C)
First 20C: March 12 (21.4C)
First 25C: April 24 (25.3C)
First 30C: May 13 (30.8C)
Hottest Temp 2018: 31.3C (May 14)

User avatar
lightningmanAB
Weather Nut
Posts: 371

Re: Alberta weather - 2018

Postby lightningmanAB » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:50 pm

Typeing3 wrote:
lightningmanAB wrote:The areas affected by drought in the US northern plains will receive some good precipitation according to the GFS. Lines up nicely. Good for crops and summer storms!
droughtUSA.JPG
GFSMar2.JPG

Good for southern SK and MB as well.

Yup! I was waiting for that updated Canadian map to come out. :)


Return to “[AB] Alberta Weather Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests