Show Off Your Personal Weather Station!

Talk about all things related to personal weather stations including getting help.

Moderator: Catnip

Michael1
Weather Fanatic

Re: Show Off Your Personal Weather Station!

Postby Michael1 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:28 pm

Missionbcwx wrote:Awesome set up Mr. Frigid man, can someone shed insight into these mini screens if they work as far as accuracy. I have this nagging issue the north side of my house has so many trees that no matter where I put my wireless sensor for my temperature I get a false reading usually to warm at night it's most frustrating. I'm thinking of purchasing one of these mini shelter's any one with knowledge about accuracy is appreciated,
below is picture attached.

I have my temp/ humidity sensor in my Stevenson screen. It's a full size one I bought back in 1981. This was before the age of digital and they, as someone pointed out , housed thermometers, hydro thermo graphs etc. I had my sling psychrometer and a barometer in mine.

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Postby Abby_wx » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:32 pm

Missionbcwx wrote:The MetSpec Mini Screen is designed to house ordinary thermometers and other small instruments for measuring dry and wet bulb temperatures. The Screen gives good protection from the heating effects of solar radiation and direct exposure to rain and snow.

Key Features
• Fixes simply to a pole or ship’s structure
• Excellent protection against solar radiation
• Improved protection against wind-blown precipitation
• Secure installation of instruments with a stable mounting plate
• Durable UV stable plastic

Unique Features
The Metspec Mini Screen, like all our other screens, requires no maintenance apart from routine cleaning. It features a strong UPVC roof, with air spaces at the base to permit ventilation.
It has one door that hinges downwards and can be padlocked for security. The shelter is large enough to house a max/min thermometer or hygrometer, together with another single stem thermometer. A rigid thermometer support rail is fitted inside, to which the instruments can be attached.

That looks good, but I don't think it will help you any at night. It sounds like the trees in your yard are blocking outgoing longwave radiation, making a sort of greenhouse effect, which would be particularly noticeable on clear nights. You really should mount your thermometer in an open area (in conjunction with this shield would be ideal).
"It's not logical... it's meteorological."

Near Hwy 1 McCallum exit; elevation 55 m (180 ft).
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... =IBCABBOT1

SardisBCwxman
Charter Member
Former Username: Missionbcwx

Postby SardisBCwxman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:55 pm

Abby_wx wrote:
Missionbcwx wrote:The MetSpec Mini Screen is designed to house ordinary thermometers and other small instruments for measuring dry and wet bulb temperatures. The Screen gives good protection from the heating effects of solar radiation and direct exposure to rain and snow.

Key Features
• Fixes simply to a pole or ship’s structure
• Excellent protection against solar radiation
• Improved protection against wind-blown precipitation
• Secure installation of instruments with a stable mounting plate
• Durable UV stable plastic

Unique Features
The Metspec Mini Screen, like all our other screens, requires no maintenance apart from routine cleaning. It features a strong UPVC roof, with air spaces at the base to permit ventilation.
It has one door that hinges downwards and can be padlocked for security. The shelter is large enough to house a max/min thermometer or hygrometer, together with another single stem thermometer. A rigid thermometer support rail is fitted inside, to which the instruments can be attached.

That looks good, but I don't think it will help you any at night. It sounds like the trees in your yard are blocking outgoing longwave radiation, making a sort of greenhouse effect, which would be particularly noticeable on clear nights. You really should mount your thermometer in an open area (in conjunction with this shield would be ideal).
Exactly that's the idea of purchasing this unit Mr. Abby_wx so I can place my sensor out in the open area of my yard away from the trees.
Last edited by SardisBCwxman on Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sardine Can

SardisBCwxman
Charter Member

Postby SardisBCwxman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:04 pm

Michael1 wrote:
Missionbcwx wrote:Awesome set up Mr. Frigid man, can someone shed insight into these mini screens if they work as far as accuracy. I have this nagging issue the north side of my house has so many trees that no matter where I put my wireless sensor for my temperature I get a false reading usually to warm at night it's most frustrating. I'm thinking of purchasing one of these mini shelter's any one with knowledge about accuracy is appreciated,

I have my temp/ humidity sensor in my Stevenson screen. It's a full size one I bought back in 1981. This was before the age of digital and they, as someone pointed out , housed thermometers, hydro thermo graphs etc. I had my sling psychrometer and a barometer in mine.
That's awesome Mr. M1 back when I was in elementary school age 12 or so I had an actual full size Stevenson screen that was given to me, I use to record rainfall for Environment Canada when we lived out in the Kitsilano area of Vancouver. I would take readings in the a.m. before school and in the evening. Of course back then I had to go out to the screen to get the temperature as it was way before wireless came along. Those unit are over a $1000.00 bucks now aday's. This mini unit is $400.00 it's a price to pay to get an accurate reading but I'll take it to satsify my weather nerdiness if need be.
Sardine Can

SardisBCwxman
Charter Member

Postby SardisBCwxman » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:10 pm

Here's my set up it's not as good as some other member's stations but it works, I need to add height to my lacrosse unit as the vent is at the same level. The Acurite unit is my back up it has barometric reading since the lacrosse unit only has an arrow indicating pressure tendency.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sardine Can

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Glacier » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:54 pm

As you might be able to see from mine, it's slightly higher than the recommended 1.5 m off the ground, and that creates a problem with trying to get up there to unplug it when it gets full of leaves, dirty, and bird crap. I'm thinking of lowering it down a bit.

Michael1
Weather Fanatic

Postby Michael1 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:03 pm

Missionbcwx wrote:
Michael1 wrote:

That's awesome Mr. M1 back when I was in elementary school age 12 or so I had an actual full size Stevenson screen that was given to me, I use to record rainfall for Environment Canada when we lived out in the Kitsilano area of Vancouver. I would take readings in the a.m. before school and in the evening. Of course back then I had to go out to the screen to get the temperature as it was way before wireless came along. Those unit are over a $1000.00 bucks now aday's. This mini unit is $400.00 it's a price to pay to get an accurate reading but I'll take it to satsify my weather nerdiness if need be.

Holy crap! $1000.00? Man mine cost about $200

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Glacier » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:06 pm

Michael1 wrote:Holy crap! $1000.00? Man mine cost about $200

Mine was $1300 for the Davis Vantage 2plus (includes fan to keep the air moving, UV index monitoring, solar radiation monitoring, and a heater to melt the snow).

BTW, Environment Canada has crapped the bed by dumping half the volunteer stations that cost about $3,000/year to operate in favour of automated stations that cost $100,000 to set up, and $11,000/year to operate, and on top of that, they don't measure snow or even rain half the time.

rhondle
Site Admin
Former Username: Rhondle

Postby rhondle » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:15 pm

Michael1 wrote:Holy crap! $1000.00? Man mine cost about $200

Not saying price matters, but generally more expensive stations have better sensors and can be more reliable. My station was around the $1k mark as well, although it now lives in a box in my garage.

Leighbugs
Charter Member

Postby Leighbugs » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:20 pm

As promised, I thought I'd share a couple pics of my weather station. Any suggestions are welcome as I'm totally new at this. I think I want to put my anemometer higher. Is that a good idea? The station itself is mounted on the top of my covered patio. Trying to put it anywhere else when we had tons of snow and ice was going to be difficult and dangerous to be on a ladder or the roof so for now we installed it where it is so it could at least be collecting data. What should I be looking for when choosing the best spot?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Personal Weather Stations”