Uninterruptible Power Supplies

Talk about all things related to personal weather stations including getting help.

Moderator: Catnip

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Uninterruptible Power Supplies

Postby Abby_wx » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:03 pm

After this last wind storm I'm seriously considering getting a UPS. It's annoying having to reboot the computer after a minor black-out or "brown-out", not to mention the possible damage it could do. Some UPSs can even run your computer for an hour or so without power.

I'm considering the Tripp Lite SMART1500LCDT. I also looked at similar ones by CyberPower and APC, but it seems that Tripp Lite is more highly regarded (based on my limited research). I'd rather not go for the cheapest option.

Does anyone here have a UPS, and what's your experience been?
"It's not logical... it's meteorological."

Near Hwy 1 McCallum exit; elevation 55 m (180 ft).
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... =IBCABBOT1

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Re: Uninterruptible Power Supplies

Postby Glacier » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:51 pm

My power has gone out for 10 hours at a time, and yet I've never had a problem because I have the D (or is it C?) batteries in it.

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Postby Abby_wx » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:56 pm

Glacier wrote:My power has gone out for 10 hours at a time, and yet I've never had a problem because I have the D (or is it C?) batteries in it.

Yeah, I have the batteries in my Davis console so I'm not worried about data loss. I'm more concerned about the potential damage and inconvenience of having the computer shut down unexpectedly.

I also lose my internet when the power goes out. I don't have a data plan on my phone, so I'd like to have my modem and router on backup just in case I need (or want) to get online for a few minutes.

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Glacier » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:12 pm

Abby_wx wrote:
Glacier wrote:My power has gone out for 10 hours at a time, and yet I've never had a problem because I have the D (or is it C?) batteries in it.

Yeah, I have the batteries in my Davis console so I'm not worried about data loss. I'm more concerned about the potential damage and inconvenience of having the computer shut down unexpectedly.

I also lose my internet when the power goes out. I don't have a data plan on my phone, so I'd like to have my modem and router on backup just in case I need (or want) to get online for a few minutes.

Ah, I see. I have the IP version so mine goes straight to the internet without the computer being on.

Hound
Charter Member

Postby Hound » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:02 pm

I have a basic APC UPS. It shuts my PC down automatically after 10 minutes after the power has gone out. Really good. But don't expect to run a PC for long unless you buy a massive UPS. If the power goes out to the Shaw or Telus distribution centre, then you get no internet either. I paid about $120 for mine.
Fraser Heights, Surrey. (Elevation: 85 M. 278 Ft.)

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Postby Abby_wx » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:58 pm

I went with the Eaton 5S 1500. It was on sale for $209 at NCIX.

Seems good so far. I shut the power off at the circuit breaker and the display said I had between 29 and 36 minutes of battery. That's with a PC, 24" monitor, laptop, modem, and router.

I haven't actually tested to see if it will run that long. In a power failure I'd be shutting down the PC and monitor and just running the laptop, which only consumes about 50 watts including the modem and router.

rhondle
Site Admin
Former Username: Rhondle

Postby rhondle » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:02 pm

Abby_wx wrote:I went with the Eaton 5S 1500. It was on sale for $209 at NCIX.

Seems good so far. I shut the power off at the circuit breaker and the display said I had between 29 and 36 minutes of battery. That's with a PC, 24" monitor, laptop, modem, and router.

I haven't actually tested to see if it will run that long. In a power failure I'd be shutting down the PC and monitor and just running the laptop, which only consumes about 50 watts including the modem and router.

I've got 3 UPSs, my most recent also being an Eaton. The model is 5SC 1000, i've had it for almost a year now and it's weathered (pardon the pun) several outages like a champ. I have always used APC for the last 20+ years, but since they were bought by Schneider it seems their quality has dropped - I now only have one functional APC UPS and we'll see how that lasts. My load is pretty high: Erlite-3 router, DDWRT-based AP, cable modem, and some rackmount gear (HP gigabit switch, FreeBSD NAS), and several Raspberry Pi's doing various housekeeping tasks. Nominal load is 112W, UPS reports 37 minutes available runtime. Last outage we had, the UPS kept everything running for around 20 minutes before the power came back on. No complaints.

Overall Eaton has taken over from APC in my books. My only real issue with Eaton is that they no longer support the open-source NUT project. Sigh.

Paulme
Weather Observer

Postby Paulme » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:23 pm

Abby_wx wrote:

Yeah I hate it when I turn the computer back on and it looks all messed up and tells me it wasn't shutdown correctly. Can't be good.

rhondle
Site Admin
Former Username: Rhondle

Postby rhondle » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:54 pm

Paulme wrote:Yeah I hate it when I turn the computer back on and it looks all messed up and tells me it wasn't shutdown correctly. Can't be good.

Well that's really only a problem with Windows. Linux, on the other hand is generally much more forgiving, particularly if using a journaling file system.

scotmaria
Weather Observer
Former Username: scotmaria

Postby scotmaria » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:27 pm

Return to “Personal Weather Stations”