August 2018 Currrent Conditions & Forecasts

Moderators: Abby_wx, Leighbugs

User avatar
Abby_wx
Charter Member
Posts: 3089
Location: Abbotsford, BC
Contact:

Re: August 2018 Currrent Conditions & Forecasts

Postby Abby_wx » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:03 pm

Coquitlam79 wrote:
Arbetrader wrote:The air quality in East Abbotsford is absolutely horrible, including the obvious bad smoke smell. Are there any areas west towards Vancouver Island or Sunshine Coast that have better air quality? I'm wondering if there is some type of satellite photo that shows which direction the Smoky air is moving...


https://mobile.twitter.com/ScottSKOMO/s ... 52/photo/1


Based on that at least, it looks like the smoke may thin out over the valley this afternoon. Less optimistic for Vancouver and areas westward.
"It's not logical... it's meteorological."

Near Hwy 1 McCallum exit; elevation 55 m (180 ft).
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... =IBCABBOT1

User avatar
Monty67
Charter Member
Posts: 5113
Location: Shawnigan Lake, Southern Vancouver Island. 150m (500ft)

Re: August 2018 Currrent Conditions & Forecasts

Postby Monty67 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:44 pm

Abby_wx wrote:
Coquitlam79 wrote:
Arbetrader wrote:The air quality in East Abbotsford is absolutely horrible, including the obvious bad smoke smell. Are there any areas west towards Vancouver Island or Sunshine Coast that have better air quality? I'm wondering if there is some type of satellite photo that shows which direction the Smoky air is moving...


https://mobile.twitter.com/ScottSKOMO/s ... 52/photo/1


Based on that at least, it looks like the smoke may thin out over the valley this afternoon. Less optimistic for Vancouver and areas westward.

Pretty smoky here. Can barely see the outline of the mountains
Located at the north end of Shawnigan Lake. 500ft elevation

User avatar
AbbyJr
Weather Enthusiast
Posts: 4064
Location: Central Abbotsford 50 m ASL

Re: August 2018 Currrent Conditions & Forecasts

Postby AbbyJr » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:02 pm

Super smoky and humid here. I can barely if at all see the mountains. I can smell it too ugh :x I'm at 25C with a 30C humidex.
Last edited by AbbyJr on Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hound
Charter Member
Posts: 2566
Location: N.E. Surrey, BC

Re: August 2018 Currrent Conditions & Forecasts

Postby Hound » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:31 pm

Man.. brutal air quality today. Smoke galore right out to the beach in White Rock! Just got home, bad here too.
Fraser Heights, Surrey. (Elevation: 85 M. 278 Ft.)

wetcoast91
Charter Member
Posts: 1596
Location: New Westminster

Re: August 2018 Currrent Conditions & Forecasts

Postby wetcoast91 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:11 pm

Guess the smoke will be the new norm here every summer. I miss the days of clear skies and fresh air in the summer.

User avatar
AbbyJr
Weather Enthusiast
Posts: 4064
Location: Central Abbotsford 50 m ASL

Re: August 2018 Currrent Conditions & Forecasts

Postby AbbyJr » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:25 pm

I took this picture while out for a walk today. Normally the mountains are clearly visible but today all you can see is white smoke:

smokyskies.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Monty67
Charter Member
Posts: 5113
Location: Shawnigan Lake, Southern Vancouver Island. 150m (500ft)

Re: August 2018 Currrent Conditions & Forecasts

Postby Monty67 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:48 pm

wetcoast91 wrote:Guess the smoke will be the new norm here every summer. I miss the days of clear skies and fresh air in the summer.

Eventually we will run out of stuff to burn.
Located at the north end of Shawnigan Lake. 500ft elevation

User avatar
Monty67
Charter Member
Posts: 5113
Location: Shawnigan Lake, Southern Vancouver Island. 150m (500ft)

Re: August 2018 Currrent Conditions & Forecasts

Postby Monty67 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:50 pm

AbbyJr wrote:Super smoky and humid here. I can barely if at all see the mountains. I can smell it too ugh :x I'm at 25C with a 30C humidex.

Jr! Did you see my post on the last page. The offshore flow pattern you asked about a couple weeks ago.
Located at the north end of Shawnigan Lake. 500ft elevation

User avatar
Monty67
Charter Member
Posts: 5113
Location: Shawnigan Lake, Southern Vancouver Island. 150m (500ft)

Re: August 2018 Currrent Conditions & Forecasts

Postby Monty67 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:56 pm

12Z Euro ensemble just parks that ridge over us through the end of the month. Smoke may be an inhibiting factor when it comes to setting monthly temperature records.
Located at the north end of Shawnigan Lake. 500ft elevation

User avatar
Leighbugs
Charter Member
Posts: 1290
Location: Maple Ridge

Re: August 2018 Currrent Conditions & Forecasts

Postby Leighbugs » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:05 pm

Will the wind change direction any time soon? All I need is all of this smoke to add to the nightmare I've been living lately! Last year I was so ill while we were smoked in. This summer can go to hell. Oh wait, aren't we already in hell?! Ughhhhhh


Return to “[BC] British Columbia Weather Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests