July 2018 Currrent Conditions & Forecasts

Moderators: Abby_wx, Leighbugs

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Re: July 2018 Currrent Conditions & Forecasts

Postby Glacier » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:27 am

AbbyJr wrote:So apparently Kamloops only gets 13 thunderstorm days per year, compared with Abbotsford, which gets 7, according to Weather Stats.

https://www.weatherstats.ca/winners.htm ... ategory=35

However, I would have thought that Kamloops would have more days of thunderstorms, since its inland and gets daytime heating effect much more so, without the oceans influence. From my understanding, areas near the ocean tend to have a lot of atmospheric stability, and unstable air is key to thunderstorm development. Seems to me that Kamloops should be prime for big storms when cold fronts cross the interior and clash with the hot airmass. I wonder if its all the hills in Kamloops that work to lower the number of days where the atmosphere conditions are unstable enough to trigger storms? Its certainly interesting, though Kelowna is fairly flat and they only get 14 thunderstorm days, but perhaps the lake has an influence on that?

One thing to consider is that some areas may be susceptible to more intense thunderstorms, even though they may not have a large number of thunderstorm days statistically. So it could be that even though Kamloops only has 6 more thunderstorm days than Abbotsford, the storms there may often be more intense then that of the storms in Abbotsford.

What are all of your thoughts?

Southern BC has very stable dry summer air. That's why Victoria and Lytton have the driest summers in Canada. Thunderstorms need heat and humidity. Kamloops has the heat, but lacks the humidity. Williams Lake (with 23 per year) has both the heat and the humidity while Whitehorse does not enough of either to get as many thunderstorms (only gets 6.56 per year). Windsor, Ontario has the hottest and most humid conditions in Canada, and thus gets the most thunderstorms (33 per year).

EDIT: Very interesting site! It lists all the daily and monthly records that have taken place recently in Canada. Here's a screenshot showing recent BC monthly records...
records4.png

Here's the link: https://www.weatherstats.ca/records_mon ... l?query=bc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rain_Down_On_Me
Weather Fanatic

Postby Rain_Down_On_Me » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:23 am

Glacier wrote:
AbbyJr wrote:So apparently Kamloops only gets 13 thunderstorm days per year, compared with Abbotsford, which gets 7, according to Weather Stats.

However, I would have thought that Kamloops would have more days of thunderstorms, since its inland and gets daytime heating effect much more so, without the oceans influence. From my understanding, areas near the ocean tend to have a lot of atmospheric stability, and unstable air is key to thunderstorm development. Seems to me that Kamloops should be prime for big storms when cold fronts cross the interior and clash with the hot airmass. I wonder if its all the hills in Kamloops that work to lower the number of days where the atmosphere conditions are unstable enough to trigger storms? Its certainly interesting, though Kelowna is fairly flat and they only get 14 thunderstorm days, but perhaps the lake has an influence on that?

One thing to consider is that some areas may be susceptible to more intense thunderstorms, even though they may not have a large number of thunderstorm days statistically. So it could be that even though Kamloops only has 6 more thunderstorm days than Abbotsford, the storms there may often be more intense then that of the storms in Abbotsford.

Southern BC has very stable dry summer air. That's why Victoria and Lytton have the driest summers in Canada. Thunderstorms need heat and humidity. Kamloops has the heat, but lacks the humidity. Williams Lake (with 23 per year) has both the heat and the humidity while Whitehorse does not enough of either to get as many thunderstorms (only gets 6.56 per year). Windsor, Ontario has the hottest and most humid conditions in Canada, and thus gets the most thunderstorms (33 per year).

EDIT: Very interesting site! It lists all the daily and monthly records that have taken place recently in Canada. Here's a screenshot showing recent BC monthly records...
records4.png

Just my luck it rained the whole week I've been here :lol: But these rainy conditions bring cold days with highs of 12 :?

Monty67
Charter Member
Location: Shawnigan Lake, Southern Vancouver Island. 150m (500ft)

Postby Monty67 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:26 am

Warm and dry but not extreme heat

FA2CCF8C-AD63-4100-A367-BAAD39067BAB.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Located at the north end of Shawnigan Lake. 500ft elevation

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Glacier » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:46 am

Rain_Down_On_Me wrote:Just my luck it rained the whole week I've been here :lol: But these rainy conditions bring cold days with highs of 12 :?

With a name like "Rain_Down_On_Me", what do you expect! It was 30 degrees the last time I was there. Well, actually, I think it was 29 in Whitehorse, but over 30 in Dawson (Dawson is a lot hotter in the summer than Whitehorse... also, a lot wetter).

P.S. Hope Slide, BC hit a new all time world record temperature on May 3rd! Only a Donald Trump loving truth hating pedophile would disagree with this scientific fact. http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climate_da ... &Year=2018

AbbyJr
Weather Enthusiast

Postby AbbyJr » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:18 pm

Glacier wrote:

records4.png

Calgary gets 27 thunderstorm days, but they don't have the humidity. It must just be the instability from being in and around the foothills so close to the Rockies?

AbbyJr
Weather Enthusiast

Postby AbbyJr » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:44 pm

Sensor relocation complete! :D

sensor1.jpg

sensor2.jpg

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Glacier » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:07 pm

AbbyJr wrote:Calgary gets 27 thunderstorm days, but they don't have the humidity. It must just be the instability from being in and around the foothills so close to the Rockies?

Calgary is quite humid relative to places in BC. Average afternoon relative humidity is over 40% in July. Ashcroft doesn't even average 20%.

Arbetrader
Charter Member

Postby Arbetrader » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:27 pm

AbbyJr wrote:Sensor relocation complete! :D

sensor1.jpg

sensor2.jpg

Thanks for posting! What kind of sensor do you have?

AbbyJr
Weather Enthusiast

Postby AbbyJr » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:33 pm

Arbetrader wrote:

sensor1.jpg

sensor2.jpg

Thanks for posting! What kind of sensor do you have?

Its an AcuRite :D https://www.acurite.com/rain-gauge-stat ... lerts.html

I purchased an optional shield for the sensor, to protect it from the snow/rain/moisture etc.

Its not the fanciest, but it works well for what I need it to do and for what I'm able to have in our complex. I'm governed by a strata unfortunately so I'm limited on what I can have and where I can put it.

SardisBCwxman
Charter Member
Former Username: Missionbcwx

Postby SardisBCwxman » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:18 pm

sensor1.jpg

sensor2.jpg
Awesome location Jr. If by chance the shield starts blowing around use a zap strap to secure it. We look forward to your accurate readings Jr. good job.
Sardine Can

Return to “[BC] British Columbia Weather Discussions”