June 2018 Current Conditions and Forecasts

Moderators: Abby_wx, Leighbugs

Hawk
Weather Enthusiast
Former Username: hawk

Re: June 2018 Current Conditions and Forecasts

Postby Hawk » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:49 am

Anytime it gets this hot with a Low in the vicinity..T-storm risk is there. T-storms are as hard to predict around here as marginal temp snows. Sometimes they say snow, and no snow. Sometimes they say no T-storms, and then issue a warning after someone gets nailed by a lightning bolt or two :arrow: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Maybe even see some today in the mountains nearby..will they make it to Metro Vanc or valley is the question. :?: :?: :?:
My butties at NWS say no to T-storms..but i don't know.. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Enuf said

stuffradio
Charter Member

Postby stuffradio » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:18 am

Hound wrote:
SardisBCwxman wrote:
AbbyJr wrote:Heat warning issued by Environment Canada.
l thought last year Glacier said a heat warning would never be issued for the south coast. :shock:

EC reads our forum so they are jealous we have more accurate forecasts. So they changed it just to spite him! :lol:

:lol:

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Glacier » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:47 am

Hound wrote:
SardisBCwxman wrote:
AbbyJr wrote:Heat warning issued by Environment Canada.
l thought last year Glacier said a heat warning would never be issued for the south coast. :shock:

EC reads our forum so they are jealous we have more accurate forecasts. So they changed it just to spite him! :lol:

Here's EC's old way of doing things (notice that many provinces and territories have had the threshold lowered to make heat warnings far more common. For example, it only needs to be 29C in Williams Lake or Fort Liard, NWT, which are supposed to hit 34 and 35 today.

echeatmap3.jpg

And here is how they have re-defined things today:

HEATWARNINGNEW.png

EDIT: Note that they say the Fraser Valley doesn't get a heat warning until it's forecast to be 35 for two days, but in reality they are using the Vancouver requirement because there's a heat warning in effect.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Glacier » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:22 am

Canada Goose wrote:
Forrest Gump wrote:Yes,for a local lake it's one of the nicer ones. But a warmer lake for swimming would be sasamat lake(white pine beach) just up the road from there,but as of a couple of years ago it had a lot of your brothers and sisters there(Canada geese), even had a sandwich and some other food item snatched away from us, never seen Canada geese that annoying and aggressive before,not to mention droppings everywhere.

:lol: There was a lot of geese there today, but they were very peaceful! :D
I have to go to Sasamat Lake but I must find an apartment too! Not a lot of time... :roll:

Here is the top max temp. for today:

1 Lytton A. B. C. (Canada) 37.8 °C
2 Pemberton Automatic Weather Reporting System (Canada) 37.4 °C
3 Lillooet, Bc (Canada) 37.1 °C
4 Lytton Rcs, Bc (Canada) 36.8 °C
5 Kamloops, B. C. (Canada) 35.6 °C
6 Kamloops Aut, Bc (Canada) 35.5 °C
7 North Cowichan, Bc (Canada) 34.6 °C
8 Port Alberni (Aut), Bc (Canada) 34.6 °C
9 Clearwater Auto, Bc (Canada) 34.3 °C
10 Penticton, B. C. (Canada) 33.6 °C
11 Summerland Automatic Weather Reporting System (Canada) 33.5 °C
12 Comox, B. C. (Canada) 33.3 °C
13 Blackcomb Mountain Base, Bc (Canada) 32.9 °C ???
14 Nakusp Automatic Weather Reporting System (Canada) 32.9 °C
15 Osoyoos Automatic Weather Reporting System (Canada) 32.9 °C
16 Princeton Cs, Bc (Canada) 32.9 °C
17 P. Meadows Coastal Station Automatic Weather Reporting System (Canada) 32.8 °C

Note that Aschroft is out of service... :cry:

Ya, Ashcroft has been down for several days now. On the upside, the Pemberton station has been fixed after being down for a solid month!

As for Blackcomb, it's only 800 and something meters above sea level, so 33 degrees is not out of the question. Let's do the math. Pemberton at 200m elevation was 37.4C. Now, during heat waves, we can expect the temperature drop by 1 degree every 100m rise in elevation, so we would expect Blackcomb to be about 5 degrees cooler, or about 32C.

Also, Puntzi Mountain and Tatlayoko Lake and Williams Lake to the north some 200km are around 900m elevation, and they are forecast to hit the mid 34 today. Yesterday they were 31.2C, 32.1C, and 30.7C respectively, so Blackcomb was not that much out from what we'd expect.

Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Location: south surrey-white rock,near semiahmoo mall, elevation 377 ft

Postby Forrest Gump » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:21 am

Where's the heat?It's going to be a cool one today. :D My max was 25c yesterday,my guess is 23 today.
A Stanley Cup and 2 feet of snow would be nice
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for

AbbyJr
Weather Enthusiast

Postby AbbyJr » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:37 am

Hound wrote:Now I'm at 32.3

Hey Jr. You should get one of these: https://www.amazon.ca/AcuRite-02020CA-Portable-Lightning-Detector/dp/B00EO1H3X8/

That looks super cool thanks. :D 8-) Only problem is that we rarely get lightning here. But it's portable so I can use it when I go to Alberta to visit my aunt and uncle :D

AbbyJr
Weather Enthusiast

Postby AbbyJr » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:19 pm

SardisBCwxman wrote:
stuffradio wrote:Two models with moderate nino members. We'll call them El nito.

c_ens_gr.png
nino34SeaadjPDFSPRDC.gif
Crap winters already toast. :?

2006/2007 was a weak El Nito and featured an unusual number of wind and rainstorms, and even a massive snowstorm followed by a true Arctic blast. 1968/1969 was a moderate El Nito and featured massive arctic air and snows. In fact, some of the coldest temps ever recorded. March 1951 featured a massive snowstorm in the Valley and it was also a moderate El Nito. Anything can happen ;)

AbbyJr
Weather Enthusiast

Postby AbbyJr » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:37 pm

Lots of convection in the area tomorrow:

Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 1.32.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 1.36.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-19 at 1.36.35 PM.png

Thunderstorms?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Forrest Gump
Weather Enthusiast
Location: south surrey-white rock,near semiahmoo mall, elevation 377 ft

Postby Forrest Gump » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:38 pm

Hawk wrote:Anytime it gets this hot with a Low in the vicinity..T-storm risk is there. T-storms are as hard to predict around here as marginal temp snows. Sometimes they say snow, and no snow. Sometimes they say no T-storms, and then issue a warning after someone gets nailed by a lightning bolt or two :arrow: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Maybe even see some today in the mountains nearby..will they make it to Metro Vanc or valley is the question. :?: :?: :?:
My butties at NWS say no to T-storms..but i don't know.. :roll: :roll: :roll:

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/ ... ge/104803/
A Stanley Cup and 2 feet of snow would be nice
But I still haven't found what I'm looking for

Canada Goose
Weather Nut

Postby Canada Goose » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:00 pm

Glacier wrote:On the upside, the Pemberton station has been fixed after being down for a solid month!

Yes, I saw that. Good news. ;)

Return to “[BC] British Columbia Weather Discussions”