May 2018 Current Conditions and Forecasts

Moderators: Abby_wx, Leighbugs

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Re: May 2018 Current Conditions and Forecasts

Postby Glacier » Wed May 23, 2018 11:21 am

Canada Goose wrote:The famous heatwave of late May 1983! ;) Dawson, YT has established his all-time record this year.

The all-time BC monthly record (40.5 in Boston Bar) occured on May 29th 1983 as well.

Interesting, although, it should be pointed out that the all time BC record occurred in 1936 during the craziest weather year of all time. Extreme record cold all across the prairies in February that hadn't been seen before or since. Then the heat kicked into high gear producing the hottest summer ever seen in the middle of continent. 121F in North Dakota. 112F in Manitoba with 7 days of 104F/40C.

Lillooet was 41.7F (107F) in May of that year... http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climate_da ... &Year=1936

P.S. In the Yukon and Alaska, May are June are the nicest months. Dry and warm. The rainy season kicks in July and lasts through September. By mid August you're into Fall with shorter days.

Canada Goose
Weather Fanatic

Postby Canada Goose » Wed May 23, 2018 11:29 am

Glacier wrote:Lillooet was 41.7F (107F) in May of that year... http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climate_da ... &Year=1936

Likely a false data (I mean underexposed) for Lillooet this day. I will check my notes later tonight.
Keep in mind that data before 1945 (aproximately) are subject to caution, because of the type of screen (open screen and not Stevenson screen, for example).
Last edited by Canada Goose on Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Glacier » Wed May 23, 2018 1:12 pm

Canada Goose wrote:
Glacier wrote:Lillooet was 41.7F (107F) in May of that year... http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climate_da ... &Year=1936

Likely a false data (I mean underexposed) for Lillooet this day. I will check my notes later tonight.
Keep in mind that data before 1945 (aproximately) are subject to caution, because of the type of shelter (open shelter and not Stevenson shelter, for example).

Almost all records are false, past and present. The Boston Bar records seem quite fishy to me. Same goes for the Osoyoos records from the 1990s.

My understanding is that standardization started around 1898. Before then some thermometers were nailed to trees and such, but some where in Stevenson Screens. The Lillooet station looks fairly good to me, although I'm open to being wrong about that. I notice that they always list the 1941 Lillooet and Lytton records as the BC records but they hardly ever mention the Chinook Cove (Barriere) record of 44.4C/112F from the same day. I suspect that this is because most meteorologists think that thermometer was not reliable.

Hound
Charter Member

Postby Hound » Wed May 23, 2018 2:02 pm

Snowfall warnings issued for parts of Newfoundland, 30 cm expected.

LOL!
Fraser Heights, Surrey. (Elevation: 85 M. 278 Ft.)

Canada Goose
Weather Fanatic

Postby Canada Goose » Wed May 23, 2018 2:20 pm

Hound wrote:Snowfall warnings issued for parts of Newfoundland, 30 cm expected.

Yes, in Gander area. Rare but not exceptional.
Always in Gander, 22 cm of snow on June 7th 1974. :lol:

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Postby Abby_wx » Wed May 23, 2018 2:39 pm

Canada Goose wrote:
Abby_wx wrote:I've read that climate change could turn us into a Mediterranean climate. There isn't enough data to prove anything yet, but this is exactly what we'd expect to happen -- warming and drying summers, and probably an extension of the dry season as well.

It appears that Victoria and Portland are already classified as Mediterranean, but the Lower Mainland has historically gotten just enough rain during the warm months to avoid that label.

Summers in Victoria and even in Portland are not warm enough to be classified as Mediterranean climate.
You need to have a mean T of 22 C in July and August and low rainfall to be Mediterranean. Portand doesn't reach 21 C and Victoria has very cool summers.
But you're right on this point: dry season seems to be drier year after year.
Nevertheless, a real Mediterranean climate is warmer (by far) than the Lower Mainland climate. Even Kamloops is not warm enough!
Spences Bridge just reach this mark (22.1 C both in July and August) and the average précipitations is just right to have Mediterranean summer climate, but there, this is a steppe climate, not Mediterranean.

By the way, Brett Anderson forecast is still nice...
https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather- ... e/70004988

Actually, there are three types of Mediterranean climates: hot, warm, and cold. Most people are only familiar with the classic Mediterranean climate -- the hottest type, which as you stated requires a mean of 22C or higher.

The warm-type Mediterranean climate has a mean under 22C during the warmest months. The only reason Victoria has this type and Vancouver does not is because Victoria is much drier during the summer months. Vancouver instead has an Oceanic climate. One defining feature of an oceanic climate is reliable precipitation throughout the year, which Victoria does not have.

One feature of Victoria's climate is it has distinct dry and rainy seasons. Nearly two-thirds of the annual precipitation falls during the four wettest months, November to February. Precipitation in December, the wettest month (109 mm or 4.3 in) is nearly eight times as high as in July, the driest month (14 mm or 0.55 in). Victoria experiences the driest summers in Canada (outside of the extreme northern reaches of the Northwest Territories and Nunavut).[25]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria, ... ia#Climate

The third type of Mediterranean climate (cold) occurs only at higher elevations.
"It's not logical... it's meteorological."

Near Hwy 1 McCallum exit; elevation 55 m (180 ft).
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... =IBCABBOT1

Canada Goose
Weather Fanatic

Postby Canada Goose » Wed May 23, 2018 2:57 pm

Abby_wx wrote:Actually, there are three types of Mediterranean climates: hot, warm, and cold. Most people are only familiar with the classic Mediterranean climate -- the hottest type, which as you stated requires a mean of 22C or higher.

The warm-type Mediterranean climate has a mean under 22C during the warmest months. The only reason Victoria has this type and Vancouver does not is because Victoria is much drier during the summer months. Vancouver instead has an Oceanic climate. One defining feature of an oceanic climate is reliable precipitation throughout the year, which Victoria does not have.

I understand and know what you mean; this is the Koppen classification. But from a European point of view, there's only one Mediterranean climate: the hot one. :P
Actually, Victoria has a precipitation regime of a Mediterranean climate (i.e. very dry summers, wettest winters and a big ratio between them), but not the temperatures of it. :P

AbbyJr
Weather Enthusiast

Postby AbbyJr » Wed May 23, 2018 4:02 pm

Hound wrote:Snowfall warnings issued for parts of Newfoundland, 30 cm expected.

LOL!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Canada Goose
Weather Fanatic

Postby Canada Goose » Wed May 23, 2018 7:59 pm

Here is my note:

41.7 in Lillooet May 30th 1936 is probably unreliable. Next highest temperature in the month was 40.0 reported from Lytton 2 on the same day, and the next highest 38.9.
41.0 in Boston Bar May 31th 1986 is probably unreliable. No other station in the province reported more than 37.5 in this month.

Coquitlam79
Seriously Into Weather
Former Username: fox1013

Postby Coquitlam79 » Wed May 23, 2018 10:34 pm

The last several runs of the GFS show a common summertime pattern that is typical for July not May! The North Pacific high is strong and well in its summer position already with systems deflected to the North and central coast and the Alaskan panhandle leaving the southern part of the province high and dry but some rain to the North here and there. Will we pay the piper come August because of the early switch to summer pattern? 2004, 2008 and 2015 would be years that come to mind where a dry spring and early summer gave way to wet August (although in 2015 it came very late but It was a solid atmospheric river).

Return to “[BC] British Columbia Weather Discussions”