Moderators: Abby_wx, Leighbugs

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

MetroVancouver Has Been Split into 5 Forecasting Zones, Fraser Valley 3

Postby Glacier » Mon May 15, 2017 2:05 pm

metrovanforecasting.jpg

03-BC-FraserValley.jpg

http://ec.gc.ca/meteo-weather/default.a ... E43B056B-1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Re: MetroVancouver Has Been Split into 5 Forecasting Zones, Fraser Valley 3

Postby Abby_wx » Mon May 15, 2017 3:47 pm

That's a pretty good idea, but I think the boundaries could use some fine-tuning. White Rock has more in common with Richmond than it does with North Surrey or Langley. Also, Burnaby has very little in common with downtown Vancouver.

Although it would complicate things, I think White Rock, South Surrey and parts of South Langley could almost be added to the "Metro Vancouver - Southwest" zone. I would create a "Metro Vancouver - Central" zone which would include Burnaby, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, North Delta, North Surrey, and maybe Pitt Meadows. I would probably add the rest of Langley to the Northeast zone.
"It's not logical... it's meteorological."

Near Hwy 1 McCallum exit; elevation 55 m (180 ft).
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... =IBCABBOT1

SardisBCwxman
Charter Member
Former Username: Missionbcwx

Postby SardisBCwxman » Tue May 16, 2017 3:22 pm

Abby_wx wrote:That's a pretty good idea, but I think the boundaries could use some fine-tuning. White Rock has more in common with Richmond than it does with North Surrey or Langley. Also, Burnaby has very little in common with downtown Vancouver.

Although it would complicate things, I think White Rock, South Surrey and parts of South Langley could almost be added to the "Metro Vancouver - Southwest" zone. I would create a "Metro Vancouver - Central" zone which would include Burnaby, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, North Delta, North Surrey, and maybe Pitt Meadows. I would probably add the rest of Langley to the Northeast zone.
Yeah I agree definitely no time or consideration was taken into forming these new regions.
All l want for Christmas is a tin of sardines

Typeing3
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Typeing3 » Tue May 16, 2017 3:58 pm

When I posted about this yesterday, I didn't even notice Glacier had already created a page on it.

Abby_wx wrote: I would create a "Metro Vancouver - Central" zone which would include Burnaby, Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam, North Delta, North Surrey, and maybe Pitt Meadows. I would probably add the rest of Langley to the Northeast zone.

I think the boundaries of the "Northeast Zone" are good. The difference in rainfall between Coquitlam and North Delta is huge. Many rainfall warnings would be pretty much useless to them. Our average rainfall is around the same as North/West Van.

If they were to make a "Central Zone", I would put Burnaby, New West, North Delta and North Surrey into the group as they have closer averages in terms of temps and precip. South Surrey and White Rock would join the "Southwest Zone".
East Coquitlam. Elevation 25m(80ft).

Spring/Summer 2018
Last freeze: April 2 (-0.8C)
First 15C: March 11 (17.9C)
First 20C: March 12 (21.4C)
First 25C: April 24 (25.3C)
First 30C: May 13 (30.8C)
Hottest Temp 2018: 31.3C (May 14)

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Glacier » Tue May 16, 2017 4:58 pm

They should just forecast with maps showing the entire region with coloured contours, taking into account elevation and geography.

Hound
Charter Member

Postby Hound » Tue May 16, 2017 7:38 pm

Abby_wx wrote:That's a pretty good idea, but I think the boundaries could use some fine-tuning. White Rock has more in common with Richmond than it does with North Surrey or Langley. Also, Burnaby has very little in common with downtown Vancouver.

Yup, that sounds more accurate! The difference between south and north Surrey is HUGE! This is a stupid error!
Fraser Heights, Surrey. (Elevation: 85 M. 278 Ft.)

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Postby Abby_wx » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:39 pm

This never actually happened. :lol:

Pitt Meadows still shows Vancouver's forecast, and Hope still shows Abbotsford's.
"It's not logical... it's meteorological."

Near Hwy 1 McCallum exit; elevation 55 m (180 ft).
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... =IBCABBOT1

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Glacier » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:50 pm

Yup:

Today Mainly sunny. High 21 except 26 inland. UV index 4 or moderate.
Tonight Clear. Fog patches developing before morning. Low 13.
Thu, 28 Sep Sunny. Fog patches dissipating in the morning. High 22 except 28 inland. Humidex 25.
Night Clear. Low 15.

Currently: Pitt Meadows = 25; YVR = 18

Translation: Nothing has changed. Same old single zone forecast.

Return to “[BC] British Columbia Weather Discussions”