Re: Daily And Monthly Precipitation Totals 2017

Postby Canada Goose » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:33 pm

Hi Glacier,

What do you mean by AHCCD stations?

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Postby Abby_wx » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:00 pm

Glacier wrote:Environment Canada uses all the longer term weather stations in Canada to investigate climate change. They combine nearby stations and make adjustments if the locations were moved slightly or if the measurement methods changed slightly. This gives them far more weather stations in Canada, and thus makes it easier to determine how the climate is changing over time.

And YET, despite the combination of weather stations, there are now only 2 weather stations recording precipitation in the entire territories in their database, equally half of Canada's landmass, and only 101 stations in the entire country total, 40% of which are BC thanks to the high number of coastal lighthouse stations.

39 in BC; 22 in Quebec, 12 in Ontario, 7 in Saskatchewan, 6 in Manitoba, 4 in Newfoundland & Labrador, 4 in Alberta, 3 in Nova Scotia, 2 in Nunavut, 2 in New Brunswick, 0 in the Yukon, 0 in the Northwest Territories, and 0 in Prince Edward Island.

precipitationstations.png

Look at the decrease after 2007 when the federal conservatives made massive cuts to EC... not that Mr. Selfie is doing anything to reverse that.
"It's not logical... it's meteorological."

Near Hwy 1 McCallum exit; elevation 55 m (180 ft).
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... =IBCABBOT1

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Postby Abby_wx » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:50 pm

I picked up 12 mm today for a monthly total of 245 mm.

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Glacier » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:23 am

Abby_wx wrote:Look at the decrease after 2007 when the federal conservatives made massive cuts to EC... not that Mr. Selfie is doing anything to reverse that.

Ya, it seems that since 1995 both Liberal and Conservative governments have been making huge cuts to Environment Canada. I think the 2007 drop has more to do with the fact that Environment Canada no longer conducts quality control checks on the volunteer weather station data. More major station changes came around 2012 when they contracted out most of the airport weather data was transferred to Nav Canada, and Nav Canada does not have the same interest in maintain records; they're more interested in current conditions.

The biggest cuts came in 1995, 2001, and 2005, but the number of stations weren't impacted as much as you'd think because most of the stations were still manual volunteer ones. It's the automation and centralization that's really led to the biggest drop data collection. Basically, there used to be 100s of Environment Canada employees collecting data all over the country, but the closed the offices in Kamloops and then Kelowna and then Whitehorse and then pretty much everywhere but cities over 1,000,000 people. Meanwhile, there USA has a meteorological office in like every city of even the smallest of sizes; it's just too political down there to shut them down when it's probably better to have fewer offices than they have but a lot more than we have.

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Glacier » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:51 pm

This is currently the 7th wettest November since in the 1940s. At least at the station I just looked up.

Double the November average.

tatprecip.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Postby Abby_wx » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:11 pm

Glacier wrote:
Abby_wx wrote:Look at the decrease after 2007 when the federal conservatives made massive cuts to EC... not that Mr. Selfie is doing anything to reverse that.

Ya, it seems that since 1995 both Liberal and Conservative governments have been making huge cuts to Environment Canada. I think the 2007 drop has more to do with the fact that Environment Canada no longer conducts quality control checks on the volunteer weather station data. More major station changes came around 2012 when they contracted out most of the airport weather data was transferred to Nav Canada, and Nav Canada does not have the same interest in maintain records; they're more interested in current conditions.

The biggest cuts came in 1995, 2001, and 2005, but the number of stations weren't impacted as much as you'd think because most of the stations were still manual volunteer ones. It's the automation and centralization that's really led to the biggest drop data collection. Basically, there used to be 100s of Environment Canada employees collecting data all over the country, but the closed the offices in Kamloops and then Kelowna and then Whitehorse and then pretty much everywhere but cities over 1,000,000 people. Meanwhile, there USA has a meteorological office in like every city of even the smallest of sizes; it's just too political down there to shut them down when it's probably better to have fewer offices than they have but a lot more than we have.

I miss just being able to blame Harper for everything. Made life a lot simpler. :lol:

Anyone looking for a job? http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/alert ... -1.4220160

I heard they still have winter up there... for now.

SardisBCwxman
Charter Member
Former Username: Missionbcwx

Postby SardisBCwxman » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:28 pm

Currently sitting @ 301.2mm for the month here in upper Mission, tomorrow I'll post my final total for November as we slide into December.
Sardine Can

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Glacier » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:04 pm

Wow, Fort St. John got hammered with snow (and a little rain) this month! Abbotsford and Vernon dry as a desert cactus by comparison!

table.jpg

Oh, and it's interesting that Vancouver was drier than normal with a record number of precipitation days...

rainiest.jpg

EDIT: WHAAAT!? Hope is a lot drier than Abbotsford!? You're kidding me!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Glacier on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

SardisBCwxman
Charter Member
Former Username: Missionbcwx

Postby SardisBCwxman » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:11 pm

Glacier wrote:Wow, Fort St. John got hammers with snow (and a little rain) this month! Abbotsford and Vernon dry as a desert cactus by comparison!

table.jpg

Oh, and it's interesting that Vancouver was drier than normal with a record number of precipitation days...

rainiest.jpg

EDIT: WHAAAT!? Hope is a lot drier than Abbotsford!? You're kidding me!
Wow! Hope and Vancouver tied for the same amount of precip for the month. Was that due to some systems moving south along the coast and not as much precip moved inland. I recall that happening a few times earlier in the month.
Sardine Can

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Postby Abby_wx » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:45 pm

I ended with 257.2 mm -- slightly above average.

Interesting that we tied the record for days with rain despite the amounts not being very impressive.

Return to “[BC] British Columbia Weather Discussions”