Todays Weather Trivia

Moderators: Abby_wx, Leighbugs

Monty67
Charter Member
Location: Shawnigan Lake, Southern Vancouver Island. 150m (500ft)

Re: Todays Weather Trivia

Postby Monty67 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:22 pm

30 November

2002: Month-long warmth and dryness extended to Vancouver Island, BC, residents and tourists extra time for outdoor activities. When normal weather arrived with high waves and foggy, icy conditions, many were caught off guard. A Victoria, BC, man was swept out to sea by a wave near Port Renfrew, BC. A wave also swept away 2 men from Botanical Beach-one of the victims disappeared in a bed of kelp.

Excerpt from 'The Canadian Weather Trivia Calendar' by David Phillips. © Environment Canada
Located at the north end of Shawnigan Lake. 500ft elevation

Monty67
Charter Member

Postby Monty67 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:26 pm

1 December

2007: During the first days of December, it looked like it would be a white Christmas from coast to coast. Up to 50 cm of snow fell on Vancouver Island followed by more than 100 mm of warm rain.The prairies experienced a -40 wind chill. And a massive storm from Colorado spread meteorological mayhem into Ontario, Quebec, and Atlantic Canada, which had just been walloped by a fierce winter storm.

Excerpt from 'The Canadian Weather Trivia Calendar' by David Phillips. © Environment Canada

Monty67
Charter Member

Postby Monty67 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:06 am

2 December

2007: Overnight, the Pacific coast swung wildly from one extreme to the other as warm tropical rains replaced an early winter snow storm. The Hawaiian airmass-dubbed the Pineapple Express-ushered in warm air and drenching rains: 100 to 150 mm in 24 hours. Flood and avalanche watches were issued for upper reaches of the Fraser River, where more than 200 mm of rain soaked the snowpack.

I remember that storm well. 53cm of snow that transitioned into 130mm of rain. Lots of flooding here locally and I seem to remember some commercial buildings with flat roofs having some issues. I believe the 101.6mm of total precip on Dec.2 is the second wettest day in Shawnigan Lake history.

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Postby Abby_wx » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:05 pm

Yeah, I remember that event pretty clearly. I'd never seen a foot of snow melt so quickly... it was literally gone by afternoon the next day. That was an odd winter... Somehow we racked up over 112 cm in total, but I barely remember having snow on the ground for more than a day at any one time.
Near Hwy 1 McCallum exit; elevation 55 m (180 ft).

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... =IBCABBOT1

Missionbcwx
Charter Member
Former Username: UpperCedarWayMission

Postby Missionbcwx » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:26 pm

Abby_wx wrote:Yeah, I remember that event pretty clearly. I'd never seen a foot of snow melt so quickly... it was literally gone by afternoon the next day. That was an odd winter... Somehow we racked up over 112 cm in total, but I barely remember having snow on the ground for more than a day at any one time.
Yup I remember that I was working night shift living in Maple Ridge, got up in the afternoon and all the snow was gone pretty much.
District of Mission, B.C. (on the fraser)

Monty67
Charter Member

Postby Monty67 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:29 pm

Abby_wx wrote:Yeah, I remember that event pretty clearly. I'd never seen a foot of snow melt so quickly... it was literally gone by afternoon the next day. That was an odd winter... Somehow we racked up over 112 cm in total, but I barely remember having snow on the ground for more than a day at any one time.

Just a lot of consistent cold onshore flow that winter, not much if any arctic air. Many places saw 20+ days with measurable snow, with the last snow falling into the second half of APRIL. Just kind of weird.

Missionbcwx
Charter Member
Former Username: UpperCedarWayMission

Postby Missionbcwx » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:23 pm

Was 2007 the winter that we had numerous fringe events as in it would snow down to 400 feet or so at least 5 or 6 times that winter.
District of Mission, B.C. (on the fraser)

Monty67
Charter Member

Postby Monty67 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:23 pm

UpperCedarWayMission wrote:Was 2007 the winter that we had numerous fringe events as in it would snow down to 400 feet or so at least 5 or 6 times that winter.

I believe it was. A lot of 500-1000ft snow levels. If I remember correctly, towns in the Cascades foothills in Washington had several feet of snow, while very little fell in the urban areas. I remember many rain to snow to rain events with temps in the 1 - 2C range.

Monty67
Charter Member

Postby Monty67 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:38 am

9 December

1939: A howling gale ravaged the coast from the northern Vancouver Island, BC, to southern Oregon, sending ships scurrying for cover, tearing down trees, and flooding homes. A logging train plunged into the Franklin River, injuring 26. The engine fell into a gully, dragging the passenger coach with it. A knee-deep water surge filled the main street of Zeballos with logs that blocked traffic.

Monty67
Charter Member

Postby Monty67 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:39 pm

Today's Weather Trivia

29 December

2008: After a massive search effort hampered by more avalanches, rescuers discovered the bodies of 7 snowmobilers from Fernie, BC, buried beneath hard-packed snow spread over 12 m. Snowmobiles were scattered like tossed toys sticking out above the snow. In the past week, storms dropped 70 cm of snow in the Fernie area. Nearly 1/3 of that fell in the 24 hours prior to the deadly slides.

Return to “[BC] British Columbia Weather Discussions”