August 2017 Current Conditions and Forecasts

Moderators: Abby_wx, Leighbugs

Coquitlam79
Cloud Watcher
Former Username: fox1013

Re: August 2017 Current Conditions and Forecasts

Postby Coquitlam79 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:48 pm

So far only a few sprinkles at my place.We may squeeze out a few mm right at front passage but overall this is a disappointment by the looks of it. Looking at the radar imagery, the juiciest part of the front is to our South. Seattle needs the rain but so do we!

Coquitlam79
Cloud Watcher
Former Username: fox1013

Postby Coquitlam79 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:57 pm

Glacier wrote:Rained 1 mm at my place today, but I'm not home. The radar shows that the rain SKIPPED right over me in the west Chilcotin and is raining in the east. Big time fire blowup today. Fire fights trapped and highway 20 is closed in both directions. Rain is coming though. 5 to 10 mm in the interior.

Where in the West chilcotin are you? I am supposed to be at our place at Charlotte lake but it's under evacuation order. Do you think the fire will reach Charlotte? They've done lots of fire mitigation work around the recreational properties at Charlotte recently after the big scare of 2004 including forest thinning, deadfall removal and clearcutting for fire breaks. My parents are currently up there basically under house arrest as the RCMP have closed the roads and they decided not to leave. Im looking forward to hearing that it rained alot there. Fingers crossed!

Typeing3
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Typeing3 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:10 am

Coquitlam79 wrote:So far only a few sprinkles at my place.We may squeeze out a few mm right at front passage but overall this is a disappointment by the looks of it. Looking at the radar imagery, the juiciest part of the front is to our South. Seattle needs the rain but so do we!

Welcome to the forum Coquitlam79! :D

Where abouts are you located in Coquitlam?
Near Lougheed Hwy and Chilko Dr, Coquitlam. Elevation 25m(80ft).

Typeing3
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Typeing3 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:16 am

Rain just starting to fall here...I'm not expecting much judging by the radar.
Near Lougheed Hwy and Chilko Dr, Coquitlam. Elevation 25m(80ft).

Monty67
Charter Member
Location: Shawnigan Lake, Southern Vancouver Island. 150m (500ft)

Postby Monty67 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:20 am

Picked up about 3mm of rain here this evening. Sounds like the Elephant hill fire is getting closer to our cabin. I read that they have moved structural protection crews into the Green Lake area, which is the southern part of the community.
Located at the north end of Shawnigan Lake. 500ft elevation

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Glacier » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:49 am

Coquitlam79 wrote:
Glacier wrote:Rained 1 mm at my place today, but I'm not home. The radar shows that the rain SKIPPED right over me in the west Chilcotin and is raining in the east. Big time fire blowup today. Fire fights trapped and highway 20 is closed in both directions. Rain is coming though. 5 to 10 mm in the interior.

Where in the West chilcotin are you? I am supposed to be at our place at Charlotte lake but it's under evacuation order. Do you think the fire will reach Charlotte? They've done lots of fire mitigation work around the recreational properties at Charlotte recently after the big scare of 2004 including forest thinning, deadfall removal and clearcutting for fire breaks. My parents are currently up there basically under house arrest as the RCMP have closed the roads and they decided not to leave. Im looking forward to hearing that it rained alot there. Fingers crossed!

Tatla Lake.

Nope, the fire will not reach Charlotte. The fire is a long way from there and hasn't grown in 3 days. There was no fire growth on any fires overnight because of the rain (we got rain too), and more is expected today. I think the worst is over now. Highway 20 is now open east bound.

Monty67 wrote:Picked up about 3mm of rain here this evening. Sounds like the Elephant hill fire is getting closer to our cabin. I read that they have moved structural protection crews into the Green Lake area, which is the southern part of the community.

It rained last night. Stopped the fire dead in its tracks. I don't think it's going to get to Green Lake.

Monty67
Charter Member
Location: Shawnigan Lake, Southern Vancouver Island. 150m (500ft)

Postby Monty67 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:04 am

^ the closest stations to green lake that I know of are near Sheridan. They both picked up 3mm this morning. Should slow things for a day or 2 and it looks much cooler on the north end of the fire this week. Warmer and drier on the south end near The Thompson river
Located at the north end of Shawnigan Lake. 500ft elevation

AbbyJr
Weather Enthusiast

Postby AbbyJr » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:36 am

Coquitlam79 wrote:So far only a few sprinkles at my place.We may squeeze out a few mm right at front passage but overall this is a disappointment by the looks of it. Looking at the radar imagery, the juiciest part of the front is to our South. Seattle needs the rain but so do we!

Welcome to the forum! You will love it here. So glad to have you join our weather discussions! :D :D :D :D

Missionbcwx
Charter Member
Former Username: UpperCedarWayMission

Postby Missionbcwx » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:41 pm

abbyweather wrote:

Welcome to the forum! You will love it here. So glad to have you join our weather discussions! :D :D :D :D
Welcome C 79, good call Typie-3 you said 5mm to 10mm generally and I received 9.9mm overnight here in upper Mission more than what I thought we'd get.
District of Mission, B.C. (on the fraser)

stuffradio
Charter Member

Postby stuffradio » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:01 pm

I received about 9.14ish mm of rain.

Return to “[BC] British Columbia Weather Discussions”