Major highway investment

Feel the need to discuss something other than weather? This is the place to do it.
stuffradio
Charter Member

Major highway investment

Postby stuffradio » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:01 pm

Great news everyone! Highway 7 between Maple Ridge and Mission will finally be 4 lanes all the way! http://www.mapleridgenews.com/news/415345764.html

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Re: Major highway investment

Postby Glacier » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:28 pm

In my view, any highway project widening to 4 lanes that still includes traffic lights is a failure.

stuffradio
Charter Member

Postby stuffradio » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:18 pm

Glacier wrote:In my view, any highway project widening to 4 lanes that still includes traffic lights is a failure.

The part I'm excited about that is being widened to 4 lanes doesn't include lights. The places getting traffic lights have been having car crashes claiming lives, which is why they're installing lights.

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Glacier » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:56 am

stuffradio wrote:The part I'm excited about that is being widened to 4 lanes doesn't include lights. The places getting traffic lights have been having car crashes claiming lives, which is why they're installing lights.

So they aren't going to reduce the number of lights on the highway? How come the government was smart enough 40 years ago to build highway 1 without traffic lights, but they insist on lights today? Plus, they seem to like 4-laning today instead of twinning. Imagine how much money was saved today as they widen highway 1 because former generations had the foresight to leave grass down the middle of the road for future expansion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not slagging the improvements to this road, but it does seem like they no longer allow for expansion for the future like they did in the past.

Hound
Charter Member

Postby Hound » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:26 am

Glacier, because today it's all about band-aid fixes. Do as little as possible. Why did they build better roads in the 50's? Now we have digital survey machines etc. and yet road construction sucks worse than ever. Roads are crooked, uneven, dangerous curves, curbs that are literally slanted. It's so pathetic!
Fraser Heights, Surrey. (Elevation: 85 M. 278 Ft.)

stuffradio
Charter Member

Postby stuffradio » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:01 pm

Hound wrote:Glacier, because today it's all about band-aid fixes. Do as little as possible. Why did they build better roads in the 50's? Now we have digital survey machines etc. and yet road construction sucks worse than ever. Roads are crooked, uneven, dangerous curves, curbs that are literally slanted. It's so pathetic!

There are so many potholes right now. I have to cry every time I drive since I hit so many.

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Postby Abby_wx » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:18 pm

Hound wrote:Glacier, because today it's all about band-aid fixes. Do as little as possible. Why did they build better roads in the 50's? Now we have digital survey machines etc. and yet road construction sucks worse than ever. Roads are crooked, uneven, dangerous curves, curbs that are literally slanted. It's so pathetic!

Yup, and that kind of thinking permeates every government project, from roads to schools to hospitals. Many of these infrastructure projects are already at full capacity by the time they are ready to use. Why are Surrey schools still ridiculously overcrowded? They've been that way ever since I went to school there in the late 80's (and probably well before then). After 30 years of this, it seems like no one in this province has learned anything.

Of course, we all know that population growth is largely to blame, but it's not like we couldn't have predicted that. Cities approve new housing developments, which means they should be able to easily predict future needs for infrastructure. If you approve a project now, you should be thinking 25 years ahead -- not five years -- because it'll take that long to build it, and by that time you'll be right back at square one.

But I don't think anything is going to change... the provincial government is used to doing the bare minimum, and the average person doesn't want their taxes to go up to pay for better infrastructure. So, as long we continue to increase our population by leaps and bounds, infrastructure will continue to be overwhelmed.
"It's not logical... it's meteorological."

Near Hwy 1 McCallum exit; elevation 55 m (180 ft).
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... =IBCABBOT1

Monty67
Charter Member
Location: Shawnigan Lake, Southern Vancouver Island. 150m (500ft)

Postby Monty67 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:44 pm

Maybe one day they will get around to actually fixing the Malahat section of highway 1 north of Victoria. Closed again the other day due to an accident, which seems to be a monthly occurrence. Unfortunately, when it's closed there is no detour option, or the traffic gets funnelled through Shawnigan Lake. This puts highway volume traffic through a small town, where we have curvy roads full of potholes, 50km speed limits and 4 way stops. No traffic lights in Shawnigan lake. It was closed the other day, and a detoured truck got stuck under the railroad bridge on the east side, forcing traffic to take the longer west side route.
Located at the north end of Shawnigan Lake. 500ft elevation

stuffradio
Charter Member

Postby stuffradio » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:45 am

Work is finally beginning on the highway between Silverdale and Mission. They're clearing brush in the ditches from now until the end of March. I can't wait for it to be completed. When it's finished, the highway between Silverdale and Mission will be 4 lanes the whole way, and I think they will have some lights along the road, and barriers between the road and ditch and a better walking path. These improvements are greatly needed during heavy rainfall or snow since it's very hard to see when the weather is bad since there are no lights down that stretch.

Return to “General Chat”