New & Old Members - Introduce Yourself!

Feel the need to discuss something other than weather? This is the place to do it.
stuffradio
Charter Member

New & Old Members - Introduce Yourself!

Postby stuffradio » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:34 pm

Hi,
I've been here since 2009, but this is a new forum and it was hard to tell when a newbie posted in the Member introduction thread on the other forum. I just completed my Bachelors of Computer Science in the Fall. I'm a freelance programmer, and we'll see where life takes me in the future with jobs. I freelanced throughout most of school to help supplement funding issues. In 2001 I started playing with HTML by looking at source code from web pages, and mimicking it, then taking things out and adding things in to see what it did. That's basically how I learned HTML. I then started a year or two after to learn PHP, and I started freelancing a few years after that by working on Virtual Pet site scripts for people and by doing different random websites.

Other than the programming stuff, for those of you know who have been here a long time, you know I like to run and grow vegetables.

Hound
Charter Member

Re: Member Introductions

Postby Hound » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:35 pm

I've been around since 2009 as well. I'm mostly a weather watcher, I'm not skilled in models, charts etc. I enjoy watching conditions and wild weather. I have family in the Shuswap so I love visiting the area to experience a good thunder storm. I'm self taught at building computers and fixing them. Sometimes I do it for money. :P I've had experience in radio broadcasting as well. I spend a lot of time on the internet which the wife hates. :P I used to be one of the kids as well before going off to school I'd phone the weather phone or watch the WN and be the only kid at school who knew what he weather was going to be like.
Fraser Heights, Surrey. (Elevation: 85 M. 278 Ft.)

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Glacier » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:40 am

I like the new look of the weather forum! I took off the 's' from my former name.
Last edited by Glacier on Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Leighbugs
Charter Member

Postby Leighbugs » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:23 pm

Good idea. There are some new members here so it's a great "getting to know you" thread.

I joined the boards in 2009. I'm a self proclaimed "weather geek girl." At age 5 my parents would find me pouring over the weather pages of the newspaper and watching The Weather Network before I could even read. As I got older, my passion for weather grew also. In 2000 at age 20, I had been accepted to UNBC to start my schooling towards becoming a meteorologist. I never made it there, as I got married that April and found myself starting a family sooner than I'd planned. The last 13 years I have been busy raising two daughters and haven't had the time to dedicate towards my studies as I chose to be a full time stay-at-home mom instead. Now they are 13 and 7 years old and I'm finally considering the pros and cons of starting schooling ASAP. I admit that my knowledge of atmospheric science doesn't compare to many of the members on this forum, but I can read and analyze the models to a degree and know the basics. Many times though I'm too lazy to check the models for myself when I can just get other people here to analyze it for me! ;)
Anyhow, it IS my dream to one day have a career doing something weather related. I would doubly LOVE to be an on air meteorologist on TV. That would be the ultimate! Right now though, I'll have to settle for reading the university textbook on meteorology a friend picked up for me, LOL. Who knows though...maybe one day I'll be on your TV screens.... 8-)

VanCitySouth
Charter Member

Postby VanCitySouth » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:35 pm

Well, I probably started lurking the old forum around the time most of you "old timers" joined it, and finally jumped into the fray a couple years ago. I have always loved weather, especially extreme weather, and like Leighbugs, I would watch TWN as a kid all the time. People look at me funny when I get excited about weather LOL. In terms of weather knowledge, I owe a lot of it to the forum, or at least additional interest piqued by the forum, so thank you all for building and keeping up this little community.

I suspect I may be one of the more young and inexperienced members. I am just a lowly science student right now.

Hawk
Weather Enthusiast
Former Username: hawk

Re: New & Old Members - Introduce Yourself!

Postby Hawk » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:54 pm

Hi I am HAWK and I am happy to meet all the others on here. I have always loved the weather extremes, if you can call it that, in BC...born and raised in the LM my whole life but last ten years spend a lot of time in the interior and love the snow up there in the winter, as well as the drier climate and warm summers. It is truly 4 seasons up there which is awesome. I am a rookie at weather models, etc., so I am more of a cloud watcher(see name >>HAWK) lol. :oops:
Having said that, i realize a lot of patterns here from my experience of local weather and sometimes make the right call lol.
I am passionate about weather and love snow in winter and sun in the summer. With the snow it must be dry and sustained instead of the wetcoast variety. I got a busy life so try to get onto the forums to chat about whats up when something exciting is happening.
Here's hoping to alot of snow and many more sunny summers in the years to come :D
Cheers to all my friends :?
Enuf said

Canada Goose
Weather Nut

Postby Canada Goose » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:29 pm

Hello,

I'm Thierry. Sorry for my English that is not very good. I'm both French and Canadian citizen and I've been living in Canada since 2008.
I live in Quebec City but I'll move to Vancouver next year.
I'm a « weather geek ». My specialities are observation and climatology.
Here it is my personal weather station (Davis VP2) : http://meteomac.com/lacbleu/
I have a look to BC weather every day (and whole Canada as well) so you could see me on the specific discussions.

Bye, ;)

stuffradio
Charter Member

Postby stuffradio » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:07 pm

Canada Goose wrote:Hello,

I'm Thierry. Sorry for my English that is not very good. I'm both French and Canadian citizen and I've been living in Canada since 2008.
Here it is my personal weather station (Davis VP2) : http://meteomac.com/lacbleu/
I have a look to BC weather every day (and whole Canada as well) so you could see me on the specific discussions.

Bye, ;)

Bonjour et bienvenue Thierry.

Canada Goose
Weather Nut

Postby Canada Goose » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:36 am

stuffradio wrote:Bonjour et bienvenue Thierry.

Thanks. 8-)

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Glacier » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:53 am

Canada Goose wrote:Hello,

Bye, ;)

Welcome. Here's something most people don't know: Quebec is the largest province in Canada. This makes it very diverse in terms of weather. Hot and humid in the south, cold and dry in the north.

Warmest year ever recorded in QC: 2012, when MCTAVISH (located in Montreal) averaged 9.1C. Thank you, Island heat effect.
Coldest year ever recorded in QC: 1972, when QUAQTAQ averaged -10.7C for the year. The 2nd coldest year ever recorded was in 2014 when PARC NATIONAL DES PINGUALUIT averaged -10.3C.

The hottest temperature ever recorded was in 1945 when MISTASSINI POST reached 40.6C (104F).
The coldest temperature ever recorded was in 19223 when DOUCET bottomed out at -54.4C (-66F)

The most snow in a year was set in 1981 when MINE MADELEINE recorded 1212.8 cm of snow. that's 40 feet of snow!
MINE MADELEINE also recorded 3125.1 mm of precipitation that year, which far exceeds any other recording in Quebec.

At the other end of the spectrum, CAPE HOPES ADVANCE in the far north only managed 91 mm of precipitation in 1961.

Return to “General Chat”