Gas Prices

Feel the need to discuss something other than weather? This is the place to do it.
Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Re: Gas Prices

Postby Glacier » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:15 am

The only thing outdated is the base price (the rack price). Vancouver typically has a lower rack price than Kamloops, but not right now. It's 49.7 in Vancouver, 43 in Kamloops, 38 in Prince George, 35.4 in Edmonton, 50.9 in Nanaimo, and 52 cents at Sault Ste. Marie.

I must say, I loved buying gas in the Yukon. Last summer it was over 160 in northern BC (Dease Lake and Fireside), but under 120 across the border in Watson Lake. Most of the difference was taxes (BC is highest in Canada, Yukon is the lowest). Of course, it's a lot cheaper now.

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Postby Abby_wx » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:40 am

Glacier wrote:The only thing outdated is the base price (the rack price). Vancouver typically has a lower rack price than Kamloops, but not right now. It's 49.7 in Vancouver, 43 in Kamloops, 38 in Prince George, 35.4 in Edmonton, 50.9 in Nanaimo, and 52 cents at Sault Ste. Marie.

I must say, I loved buying gas in the Yukon. Last summer it was over 160 in northern BC (Dease Lake and Fireside), but under 120 across the border in Watson Lake. Most of the difference was taxes (BC is highest in Canada, Yukon is the lowest). Of course, it's a lot cheaper now.

Thanks for that link. Based on that data, I calculated that gas in Vancouver "costs" 94.355, but of course that doesn't include profit for the end retailer. The actual price in Vancouver is about 104.9 to 106.9 currently. That seems like a pretty healthy margin, but perhaps this is an indication that prices will drop further shortly.
"It's not logical... it's meteorological."

Near Hwy 1 McCallum exit; elevation 55 m (180 ft).
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... =IBCABBOT1

stuffradio
Charter Member

Postby stuffradio » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:15 pm

Gas is below 90 cents in Mission.

SardisBCwxman
Charter Member
Former Username: Missionbcwx

Postby SardisBCwxman » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:29 pm

stuffradio wrote:Gas is below 90 cents in Mission.
86.9 tonight Feb. 13th in Mission just a week ago it went way up to 97.9 for some strange reason for like one day then started creeping back down.
Sardine Can

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Postby Abby_wx » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:56 pm

87.9 here.

Gas stations aren't making much at these rates.

Current gas cost before retailer mark-up (rack price + taxes):

Vancouver: 96.9
Abbotsford: 85.9*

*I used the Vancouver rack price for Abbotsford, since it was the closest one geographically.

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Postby Abby_wx » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:08 pm

Pretty big difference compared to a year ago. Gas has been more expensive over the last three weeks than it was for almost all of last year. During the last 10 days, Abbotsford has only been about 5-7 cents cheaper than Vancouver. Our prices are currently about twice the US average.

gasprice.PNG

gasprice2.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Postby Abby_wx » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:36 pm

Thinking about the above, I remember going to the US with my dad to get gas back in the 90's. At that time, I remember seeing prices of around $1.30 to $1.35 US per gallon, or about 35 cents US per liter. At that time, the exchange rate on the US dollar was about 1.40 CAD, which translates to about 49 cents/liter. In Canada at that time, if my memory serves me correctly, we were paying about 55 cents per liter. It may have been a bit more, but it was certainly no more than 65 cents, and certainly not double the US price....

The chart below kind of illustrates my point -- although it only goes back 11 years, it shows the widening gulf between Vancouver and US prices. It looks like we're at an all-time high right now.

gasprice11year.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hound
Charter Member

Postby Hound » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:23 pm

Being screwed mom stop and Canadians keep bending over to take it. I've boycotted 2 station brands off which I've not bought gas in nearly 10 years. If people actually had a brain to do the same, things would change.
Fraser Heights, Surrey. (Elevation: 85 M. 278 Ft.)

stuffradio
Charter Member

Postby stuffradio » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:23 am

I remember in the late 80's or 90's when gas was 25-32 cents/liter locally.

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Glacier » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:41 pm

Remember than Vancouver has the highest gas taxes in North America. The reason the gap has increased in recent years is because of the rise in the carbon tax. Besides taxes, there some other factors at play, namely that there's a bottleneck at the refining stage. Almost all gas is supplied by the Chevron in Burnaby and the two refineries in Alberta.

Return to “General Chat”