Gas Prices

Feel the need to discuss something other than weather? This is the place to do it.
stuffradio
Charter Member

Gas Prices

Postby stuffradio » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:24 am

I don't know how true this is, but on bcgasprices.com, some people are saying in Delta Gas is $1.57/Litre!

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Re: Gas Prices

Postby Abby_wx » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:14 am

Down to 133.9 in Abbotsford today. I never thought that would seem cheap.
"It's not logical... it's meteorological."

Near Hwy 1 McCallum exit; elevation 55 m (180 ft).
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... =IBCABBOT1

stuffradio
Charter Member

Postby stuffradio » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:15 pm

Abby_wx wrote:Down to 133.9 in Abbotsford today. I never thought that would seem cheap.

It's probably all part of a plan to make us get used to those prices and not complain.

Hound
Charter Member

Postby Hound » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:20 pm

It IS all about conditioning. Basic for of slow brainwashing. Yet in the mid 90's we wer paying 39 cents a L. In reality gas should only be about $1.05 right now.
Fraser Heights, Surrey. (Elevation: 85 M. 278 Ft.)

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Glacier » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:12 am

I paid $1.649 in Dease Lake the other day.

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Postby Abby_wx » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:46 pm

Hound wrote:It IS all about conditioning. Basic for of slow brainwashing. Yet in the mid 90's we wer paying 39 cents a L. In reality gas should only be about $1.05 right now.

LOL, yeah. I remember the gas wars around 1998 or so and the price being as low as 39.9 in Surrey (wonder what it was in Abbotsford back then.. in the 20's maybe?). I seem to remember it being 50-55 cents for most of the 90's but never above 60 cents until after 2000. I was shocked when it got up to 70 cents around 2007.. seemed like a total rip-off then, but what I wouldn't give for that price now... lol.

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Postby Abby_wx » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:38 pm

Speaking of the 90's, oil prices aren't far from mid-90's levels. Back then, oil hovered around $30 USD.

Average price of regular gas in Vancouver in December 1995 = 57.8 (Statistics Canada).

Yet gas is still hanging out well above the $1 mark... it's currently about $1.24 in Vancouver.

Plugging the 1995 number into the Bank of Canada CPI calculator reveals the price with inflation should be around 83.5 cents today. Of course, we know that gas prices never follow inflation.

I guess we can blame the dollar... actually, no. Around this time in 1995 the dollar was trading at about 73 cents US...that's just one cent more valuable than it is today.

So then... we can't really blame oil prices, the dollar, or inflation for the current high prices. When you factor in inflation, oil is actually worth less now than 20 years ago.

There's still over 40 cents we're somehow not accounting for.

OH, wait... Taxes!

The Translink tax of 17 cents/litre didn't exist back in 1995, so that explains some of the difference, but still leaves about 23 cents unaccounted for.

BC carbon tax adds another 7 cents, which leaves about 16 cents.

That 16 cents would appear to be extra profits.. remember this is over and above inflation. I guess the oil companies must have their own "inflation rate"... sort of like government workers.

Hound
Charter Member

Postby Hound » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:55 pm

The cartels need to be taken down. The gouging never stops! They get away with it because nobody takes them to task.
Fraser Heights, Surrey. (Elevation: 85 M. 278 Ft.)

SardisBCwxman
Charter Member
Former Username: Missionbcwx

Postby SardisBCwxman » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:23 pm

Abby_wx wrote:Speaking of the 90's, oil prices aren't far from mid-90's levels. Back then, oil hovered around $30 USD.

Average price of regular gas in Vancouver in December 1995 = 57.8 (Statistics Canada).

Yet gas is still hanging out well above the $1 mark... it's currently about $1.24 in Vancouver.

Plugging the 1995 number into the Bank of Canada CPI calculator reveals the price with inflation should be around 83.5 cents today. Of course, we know that gas prices never follow inflation.

I guess we can blame the dollar... actually, no. Around this time in 1995 the dollar was trading at about 73 cents US...that's just one cent more valuable than it is today.

So then... we can't really blame oil prices, the dollar, or inflation for the current high prices. When you factor in inflation, oil is actually worth less now than 20 years ago.

There's still over 40 cents we're somehow not accounting for.

OH, wait... Taxes!

The Translink tax of 17 cents/litre didn't exist back in 1995, so that explains some of the difference, but still leaves about 23 cents unaccounted for.

BC carbon tax adds another 7 cents, which leaves about 16 cents.

That 16 cents would appear to be extra profits.. remember this is over and above inflation. I guess the oil companies must have their own "inflation rate"... sort of like government workers.
Down to 92.9 in Mission as of today Jan. 15th 2016 :shock:
Sardine Can

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Postby Abby_wx » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:50 pm

Missionbcwx wrote:Down to 92.9 in Mission as of today Jan. 15th 2016 :shock:

Yup! Down to 90.9 here at last check.

Seems like a good deal, even though the actual "price" is probably about 57 cents -- the rest is taxes.

This is a bit outdated, but it shows the amount of taxes that are added... roughly 34 cents in most of BC, and more in Vancouver:

http://retail.petro-canada.ca/en/fuelsavings/2139.aspx

Return to “General Chat”