Metro Vancouver Land Usage 1984-2016

Interested in meteorology? If you like discussing weather patterns, climate, wacky weather, models etc. This is the place for you!

Moderator: Catnip

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Metro Vancouver Land Usage 1984-2016

Postby Abby_wx » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:02 pm

So it turns out that 1984 is the first year where Google has high resolution satellite imagery of the Vancouver area. I just made this GIF to show the difference in land usage between 1984 and 2016.

I put this in the climate section because I assume that UHI effect has caused increased temperatures in areas that saw the most development.

metro.gif

Almost all areas saw a major "de-greening", but particularly Richmond, the Tri-cities, Maple Ridge, Surrey, Langley and even western Abbotsford have seen massive amounts of development. Even Burns Bog is being slowly chipped away, so perhaps even that cold pocket will soon be history.

I can also make more images zoomed in at smaller areas, if anyone would like (although it doesn't zoom in super close).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It's not logical... it's meteorological."

Near Hwy 1 McCallum exit; elevation 55 m (180 ft).
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... =IBCABBOT1

SardisBCwxman
Charter Member
Former Username: Missionbcwx

Re: Metro Vancouver Land Usage 1984-2016

Postby SardisBCwxman » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:16 pm

Abby_wx wrote:So it turns out that 1984 is the first year where Google has high resolution satellite imagery of the Vancouver area. I just made this GIF to show the difference in land usage between 1984 and 2016.

I put this in the climate section because I assume that UHI effect has caused increased temperatures in areas that saw the most development.

metro.gif
Almost all areas saw a major "de-greening", but particularly Richmond, the Tri-cities, Maple Ridge, Surrey, Langley and even western Abbotsford have seen massive amounts of development. Even Burns Bog is being slowly chipped away, so perhaps even that cold pocket will soon be history.

I can also make more images zoomed in at smaller areas, if anyone would like (although it doesn't zoom in super close).
Nice Abby_wx wouldn't mind a zoom in for Mission although I would suspect it's growth has been the slowest.
Sardine Can

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Re: Metro Vancouver Land Usage 1984-2016

Postby Abby_wx » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:48 pm

Missionbcwx wrote:Nice Abby_wx wouldn't mind a zoom in for Mission although I would suspect it's growth has been the slowest.

Sure!

(These files are pretty large, so may take a moment to load.)

mission.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It's not logical... it's meteorological."

Near Hwy 1 McCallum exit; elevation 55 m (180 ft).
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... =IBCABBOT1

Return to “Weather, Climate & Meteorology”