Among the improvements:
- Three times more spectral information
- Four times greater spatial resolution
- Five times faster coverage
- Real-time mapping of total lightning activity
- Increased thunderstorm and tornado warning lead time
- Improved hurricane track and intensity forecasts
- Improved monitoring of solar x-ray flux
- Improved monitoring of solar flares and coronal mass ejections
- Improved geomagnetic storm forecasting
The image quality from the new cameras are amazing, and if you have some time I encourage you to check out the image gallery.
Unfortunately, GOES-16 is not live yet, nor do we know what position it will ultimately take until that decision is made in May. Whatever the outcome, GOES-16 is expected to begin it's official duties in November.