GOES-16 first pictures

Interested in meteorology? If you like discussing weather patterns, climate, wacky weather, models etc. This is the place for you!

Moderator: Catnip

rhondle
Site Admin
Former Username: Rhondle

GOES-16 first pictures

Postby rhondle » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:55 am

At long last, we finally get to see images from the long-awaited GOES-16, the first in the next generation weather satellites that promise a significant upgrade from the previous generation that we have relied on since the program began in 1975.

Among the improvements:

• Three times more spectral information
  • Four times greater spatial resolution
  • Five times faster coverage
  • Real-time mapping of total lightning activity
  • Increased thunderstorm and tornado warning lead time
  • Improved hurricane track and intensity forecasts
  • Improved monitoring of solar x-ray flux
  • Improved monitoring of solar flares and coronal mass ejections
  • Improved geomagnetic storm forecasting

The image quality from the new cameras are amazing, and if you have some time I encourage you to check out the image gallery.

Unfortunately, GOES-16 is not live yet, nor do we know what position it will ultimately take until that decision is made in May. Whatever the outcome, GOES-16 is expected to begin it's official duties in November.

SardisBCwxman
Charter Member
Former Username: Missionbcwx

Re: GOES-16 first pictures

Postby SardisBCwxman » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:29 pm

rhondle wrote:At long last, we finally get to see images from the long-awaited GOES-16, the first in the next generation weather satellites that promise a significant upgrade from the previous generation that we have relied on since the program began in 1975.

Among the improvements:

• Three times more spectral information
  • Four times greater spatial resolution
  • Five times faster coverage
  • Real-time mapping of total lightning activity
  • Increased thunderstorm and tornado warning lead time
  • Improved hurricane track and intensity forecasts
  • Improved monitoring of solar x-ray flux
  • Improved monitoring of solar flares and coronal mass ejections
  • Improved geomagnetic storm forecasting

The image quality from the new cameras are amazing, and if you have some time I encourage you to check out the image gallery.

Unfortunately, GOES-16 is not live yet, nor do we know what position it will ultimately take until that decision is made in May. Whatever the outcome, GOES-16 is expected to begin it's official duties in November.
Yes I saw this on Global news it looks awesome will the real time images be available online as well?
Sardine Can

rhondle
Site Admin
Former Username: Rhondle

Re: GOES-16 first pictures

Postby rhondle » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:20 pm

Missionbcwx wrote:Yes I saw this on Global news it looks awesome will the real time images be available online as well?

That would be really nice. Although I haven't heard anything about that, i think that even with the current GOES satellites you can build or buy a receiver and obtain regular transmissions. However, it seems that the "official" sources distributing the imagery online only update periodically.

Return to “Weather, Climate & Meteorology”