Graphs and Data

Interested in meteorology? If you like discussing weather patterns, climate, wacky weather, models etc. This is the place for you!

Moderator: Catnip

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Re: Graphs and Data

Postby Glacier » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:51 am

Typeing3 wrote:Would be pretty interesting to compare both the west and east coasts of Canada. I remember reading that their averages have stayed relatively the same since records began.

The maximum temperatures have not warmed, but the minimums have warmed significantly, hence the means have increased.

Warmest years (by maximums):
1) 1958 = 15.4C
2) 1934 = 15.2C
3) 2015 = 15.0C

Warmest years (by mins):
1) 2004 = 8.1C
2) 1998 = 8.0C
3) 2015 = 8.0C

Here's the exact same Vancouver station, only it's showing the maximum minimum temperatures.

Vancouvermax.png
Vancouvermax.png (144.33 KiB) Viewed 33 times

VancouverMin.png
VancouverMin.png (133.64 KiB) Viewed 32 times

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Re: Graphs and Data

Postby Abby_wx » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:25 am

Glacier wrote:
Typeing3 wrote:Would be pretty interesting to compare both the west and east coasts of Canada. I remember reading that their averages have stayed relatively the same since records began.

The maximum temperatures have not warmed, but the minimums have warmed significantly, hence the means have increased.

Warmest years (by maximums):
1) 1958 = 15.4C
2) 1934 = 15.2C
3) 2015 = 15.0C

Warmest years (by mins):
1) 2004 = 8.1C
2) 1998 = 8.0C
3) 2015 = 8.0C

Here's the exact same Vancouver station, only it's showing the maximum minimum temperatures.

Vancouvermax.png

VancouverMin.png

I wonder how much of that can be attributed to increased cloudcover. With global warming we can expect more cloudcover, as warm air holds more moisture than cold air. Clouds have a greater warming effect at night, while limiting daytime heating, particularly during the warm season.

Anecdotally, I can remember many more clear nights 25 years ago when compared to today. It seems like we rarely get a frost nowadays unless arctic air is involved. A typical clear night around here seems to cloud up very fast, as the humidity is usually quite high, so the temperature doesn't have to drop as far to reach the dewpoint. This would be less of an issue in the interior where humidity is typically quite low.
Near Hwy 1 McCallum exit; elevation 55 m (180 ft).

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... =IBCABBOT1

Return to “Weather, Climate & Meteorology”