Winter of 1968/69

Interested in meteorology? If you like discussing weather patterns, climate, wacky weather, models etc. This is the place for you!

Moderator: Catnip

Typeing3
Weather Enthusiast

Winter of 1968/69

Postby Typeing3 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:49 pm

I found this nice write up regarding the winter of 1968-69 which was the second coldest winter on the south coast since 1950. The author was based in the Fraser Valley (Aldergrove). I also posted this on the October page.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1 ... 69.9676569

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Re: Winter of 1968/69

Postby Glacier » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:12 am

1968 was the year my mom moved from Buffalo, NY to BC. She spent part of the winter shipwrecked up Butte Inlet or some such place. Almost froze to death. Then the rest of the winter working in Vancouver. She was shocked that Vancouver had winters colder than Buffalo, though as she knows now, this was not a typical winter for Vancouver. The old timers in the Chiloctin tell me that the temperature hit 50 below in December and stayed there until February. Looking at the actual records shows that's a bit of an exaggeration, though, it did bottom out at -63F/-52.8C in December, which is the coldest temperature ever recorded in BC in December. Not bad for being in the southern 1/3 of the province!

It was so cold that month that the high in Kelowna one day was -25C! Even 1950 didn't have days that cold (the nights were colder but not the days).

Typeing3
Weather Enthusiast

Re: Winter of 1968/69

Postby Typeing3 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:47 pm

Glacier wrote:1968 was the year my mom moved from Buffalo, NY to BC. She spent part of the winter shipwrecked up Butte Inlet or some such place. Almost froze to death. Then the rest of the winter working in Vancouver. She was shocked that Vancouver had winters colder than Buffalo, though as she knows now, this was not a typical winter for Vancouver. The old timers in the Chiloctin tell me that the temperature hit 50 below in December and stayed there until February. Looking at the actual records shows that's a bit of an exaggeration, though, it did bottom out at -63F/-52.8C in December, which is the coldest temperature ever recorded in BC in December. Not bad for being in the southern 1/3 of the province!

It was so cold that month that the high in Kelowna one day was -25C! Even 1950 didn't have days that cold (the nights were colder but not the days).

:shock: Wow, scary stuff for sure, especially if you're caught off guard. I'm sure even old timers were that winter!

What's very odd about that winter though, was that it occurred during a Weak El Nino.

Return to “Weather, Climate & Meteorology”