Show Off Your Personal Weather Station!

Talk about all things related to personal weather stations including getting help.

Moderator: Catnip

rhondle
Site Admin
Former Username: Rhondle

Show Off Your Personal Weather Station!

Postby rhondle » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:02 pm

As weather enthusiasts, many of us have purchased and operate our own personal weather stations... This thread is for anyone who wishes to share pictures of their weather stations (home-made or commercial) and related photos.

To kick things off, here are some photos of my Peet Bros Ultimeter 2100 taken between 2008 and 2010.

Turning on the station for the first time, in the corner of my bedroom (balanced on top of the now-ancient Cisco gear lol)
ws_05.jpg
ws_05.jpg (83.47 KiB) Viewed 346 times

The station lived in my bedroom window for a few months before it found a more permanent home. The device taped to the window on the left is a webcam.
ws_06.jpg
ws_06.jpg (42.56 KiB) Viewed 346 times

Installed on our new house! Note the "arm" on the side of the PVC support, which is to hold a lightning detector made by Stormwise (not installed)
ws_01.jpg
ws_01.jpg (88.92 KiB) Viewed 346 times

This was a side project, a home-made solar radiation shield with tipping bucket rain gauge. The shield was built using inverted flower pot bases, the rims filled to prevent water accumulation, and painted white to reflect solar radiation.
ws_03.jpg
ws_03.jpg (75.08 KiB) Viewed 346 times

Sadly, this station now lives in a carefully packed box, as we have moved to a townhouse and aren't permitted to have a station on the roof.

Hound
Charter Member

Re: Show Off Your Personal Weather Station!

Postby Hound » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:33 pm

Cool!
Fraser Heights, Surrey. (Elevation: 85 M. 278 Ft.)

rhondle
Site Admin

Postby rhondle » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:32 pm

Hound wrote:Cool!

Anyone else want to submit their pics? ;)

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Glacier » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:12 pm

rhondle wrote:Anyone else want to submit their pics? ;)

Yes.

Leighbugs
Charter Member

Postby Leighbugs » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:39 am

I will post some pics tomorrow. I enjoyed seeing yours rhondle! A home made solar radiation shield...awesome. So will you eventually get your lightning detector up?

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Glacier » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:48 am

IMG_0671.JPG
IMG_0671.JPG (63.34 KiB) Viewed 304 times

rhondle
Site Admin

Postby rhondle » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:14 pm

Awesome!

rhondle
Site Admin

Postby rhondle » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:16 pm

Leighbugs wrote:I will post some pics tomorrow. I enjoyed seeing yours rhondle! A home made solar radiation shield...awesome. So will you eventually get your lightning detector up?

I did for awhile, but unfortunately no pics. I have recently built a different detector, but I am still experimenting with it. Detecting lightning is tricky in this part of the world when thunderstorms are few and far between... there are circuits to simulate lightning too, but nothing beats the real thing.. I'll post some pics of that project soon.

Missionbcwx
Charter Member
Former Username: UpperCedarWayMission

Postby Missionbcwx » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:09 pm

Awesome set up Mr. Frigid man, can someone shed insight into these mini screens if they work as far as accuracy. I have this nagging issue the north side of my house has so many trees that no matter where I put my wireless sensor for my temperature I get a false reading usually to warm at night it's most frustrating. I'm thinking of purchasing one of these mini shelter's any one with knowledge about accuracy is appreciated,
below is picture attached.
District of Mission, B.C. (on the fraser)

Missionbcwx
Charter Member
Former Username: UpperCedarWayMission

Postby Missionbcwx » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:12 pm

The MetSpec Mini Screen is designed to house ordinary thermometers and other small instruments for measuring dry and wet bulb temperatures. The Screen gives good protection from the heating effects of solar radiation and direct exposure to rain and snow.

Key Features
• Fixes simply to a pole or ship’s structure
• Excellent protection against solar radiation
• Improved protection against wind-blown precipitation
• Secure installation of instruments with a stable mounting plate
• Durable UV stable plastic

Unique Features
The Metspec Mini Screen, like all our other screens, requires no maintenance apart from routine cleaning. It features a strong UPVC roof, with air spaces at the base to permit ventilation.
It has one door that hinges downwards and can be padlocked for security. The shelter is large enough to house a max/min thermometer or hygrometer, together with another single stem thermometer. A rigid thermometer support rail is fitted inside, to which the instruments can be attached.
Attachments
Met14.jpg
Met14.jpg (40.66 KiB) Viewed 282 times
District of Mission, B.C. (on the fraser)

Return to “Personal Weather Stations”