Wind Gauges

Talk about all things related to personal weather stations including getting help.

Moderator: Catnip

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Wind Gauges

Postby Abby_wx » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:27 pm

I have a Davis Vantage Pro 2. A couple years ago, I noticed the wind was reading lower than I expected, so I changed the wind gauge. That didn't seem to make any difference. It still reads low.

I also have an Inspeed Vortex wind gauge. It always seemed very accurate during high winds, but I stopped using because it seemed like the cups were getting sluggish and wouldn't turn unless it was quite windy.

I was looking online for wind gauges and I don't see many options. There area lot of hand-held ones available, and then there are professional ones costing $1000+. There doesn't seem to be anything for the enthusiast wanting to spend under $200.

I might get another Vortex, but I'm not thrilled about replacing it every couple years.
"It's not logical... it's meteorological."

Near Hwy 1 McCallum exit; elevation 55 m (180 ft).
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... =IBCABBOT1

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Re: Wind Gauges

Postby Glacier » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:19 am

I lick my finger and hold it up the air. The higher the wind speed the faster it cools.

edit for spelling.
Last edited by Glacier on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

SardisBCwxman
Charter Member
Former Username: Missionbcwx

Postby SardisBCwxman » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:46 pm

Glacier wrote:I like my finger and hold it up the air. The higher the wind speed the faster it cools.
Lol! if my puppy's fur is blowing around it's windy outside.
Sardine Can

rhondle
Site Admin
Former Username: Rhondle

Postby rhondle » Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:10 pm

A buddy of mine has been wanting to build an ultrasonic wind sensor for years now. In theory, it should be extremely sensitive and much more accurate than a mechanical wind sensor, and in 3-dimensions as well. I will ask him to see if he's made any progress. Commercial versions exist, but are pricey as expected...

Return to “Personal Weather Stations”