Video camera - Gopro?

Talk about all things related to personal weather stations including getting help.

Moderator: Catnip

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Video camera - Gopro?

Postby Abby_wx » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:26 pm

I'm looking for a camera that takes decent videos of weather, particularly in low light. I currently have a regular digital camera that takes 720p video, but it's terrible in anything but perfect weather conditions (which kind of defeats the purpose).

Been looking at the GoPro Hero ($129 USD) and Hero3 ($199 USD). Does anyone own one of these, and if so, what do you think of the quality? The only downside I can see is the lack of a zoom lens (not really important for weather shots) and the still photos are only 5 mp, but that is fine as long as they're good quality.

There are more expensive Gopros (Hero4, etc), but I don't see myself needing 4K video or 120 fps.
"It's not logical... it's meteorological."

Near Hwy 1 McCallum exit; elevation 55 m (180 ft).
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... =IBCABBOT1

rhondle
Site Admin
Former Username: Rhondle

Re: Video camera - Gopro?

Postby rhondle » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:14 am

Abby_wx wrote:I'm looking for a camera that takes decent videos of weather, particularly in low light. I currently have a regular digital camera that takes 720p video, but it's terrible in anything but perfect weather conditions (which kind of defeats the purpose).

Been looking at the GoPro Hero ($129 USD) and Hero3 ($199 USD). Does anyone own one of these, and if so, what do you think of the quality? The only downside I can see is the lack of a zoom lens (not really important for weather shots) and the still photos are only 5 mp, but that is fine as long as they're good quality.

There are more expensive Gopros (Hero4, etc), but I don't see myself needing 4K video or 120 fps.

This is also something i've been interested in as well. I think Sony, JVC and others make competing products but it'll be hard to beat the GoPro's quality.
For reference, here's a comparison between the GoPro Hero3+ and the Sony AS100v: http://gizmodo.com/sony-action-cam-as100v-review-gopro-finally-has-some-c-1593968678

Catnip
Charter Member

Postby Catnip » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:10 pm

I have the Sony AS-30V while my brother has the GoPro 3.

I paid half the price he did and am pretty happy with it thus far. GoPro does have nicer video quality though.

Here is a video I made with the AS-30V:

Coquitlam/Mundy Park
Elevation: 530ft

Personal Weather Station: http://tinyurl.com/ptjynsn

Hawk - "We are in PATTERN LOCK Jr!!! Who cares what the GFS and Euro weeklies say about 10 days from now hahahahahaha"

rhondle
Site Admin
Former Username: Rhondle

Postby rhondle » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:42 am

Catnip wrote:I have the Sony AS-30V while my brother has the GoPro 3.

I paid half the price he did and am pretty happy with it thus far. GoPro does have nicer video quality though.

Here is a video I made with the AS-30V:

That's some pretty decent video for half the price.

Not sure how relevant it is to this discussion but i've been looking for a cost-effective high quality weather webcam solution for a long time now (probably 10 years actually..) The problem is that there's several requirements: weatherproof, high resolution (>3mp), performs well in low-light, and low cost (<$100). The problem is that it's just not possible to buy an off the shelf product that fits all of these requirements.

However, I have several Raspberry Pi's and so I figured i'd try out the cameras available for them - I just ordered one yesterday. For $30 you get a 5 MP camera that can take stills or 15 fps video at 2592×1944, or 30 fps video at 1920×1080 (full HD). Of course you still need a Raspberry Pi which doubles the cost, but it sounds promising.

I will post some stills and video when I get the camera and have a chance to test it out.

Return to “Personal Weather Stations”