Personal weather station

Talk about all things related to personal weather stations including getting help.

Moderator: Catnip

jeffharrington
Weather Observer

Personal weather station

Postby jeffharrington » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:17 am

I am new to this community. I would also like to know which weather station should I buy to use at home. I stumbled upon this blog Best Weather Station to Buy in 2018 and would like to know if these are good choices? Thanks for your help.
Weather Enthusiast

Canada Goose
Weather Fanatic

Re: Personal weather station

Postby Canada Goose » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:35 am

Hello,

Definitely, Vantage Pro 2 and only this one. ;)

Abby_wx
Charter Member

Postby Abby_wx » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:55 pm

Realistically, the Acu-Rite is probably best for the average person, along with the Vantage Vue for those who want to spend a little bit more.

The Vantage Pro2 may be the most accurate consumer-grade station available, but it's large and not very flexible when it comes to actually installing it. The digital display is also straight from the early 2000's. The Acu-Rite's high-res display is much easier on the eyes. Of course, most Vantage Pro2 users are running software on their computers, so they would be less concerned about the display quality.

Regardless of which station you choose, the most important factor is where you install it. Many of us are very limited in where we can install the sensors, so the accuracy will not be the best regardless of the station you choose.

There's not much point in buying a Vantage Pro2 if you have nowhere decent to install it. Much better off buying something more compact, or with sensors you can locate in different areas. So that's my advice -- be aware of the limitations of your environment, and choose the most suitable option.

Another note about the Vantage Pro2 -- the rain gauge will likely require calibration, and you need a manual rain gauge to do this.
"It's not logical... it's meteorological."

Near Hwy 1 McCallum exit; elevation 55 m (180 ft).
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... =IBCABBOT1

jeffharrington
Weather Observer

Postby jeffharrington » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:21 am

Thank you so much for sharing your ideas! Will definitely take this as an advice. ;) I am excited to have my own weather station at home and I hope it will work good. :)
Weather Enthusiast

SardisBCwxman
Charter Member
Former Username: Missionbcwx

Postby SardisBCwxman » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:29 pm

Abby_wx wrote:Realistically, the Acu-Rite is probably best for the average person, along with the Vantage Vue for those who want to spend a little bit more.

The Vantage Pro2 may be the most accurate consumer-grade station available, but it's large and not very flexible when it comes to actually installing it. The digital display is also straight from the early 2000's. The Acu-Rite's high-res display is much easier on the eyes. Of course, most Vantage Pro2 users are running software on their computers, so they would be less concerned about the display quality.

Regardless of which station you choose, the most important factor is where you install it. Many of us are very limited in where we can install the sensors, so the accuracy will not be the best regardless of the station you choose.

There's not much point in buying a Vantage Pro2 if you have nowhere decent to install it. Much better off buying something more compact, or with sensors you can locate in different areas. So that's my advice -- be aware of the limitations of your environment, and choose the most suitable option.

Another note about the Vantage Pro2 -- the rain gauge will likely require calibration, and you need a manual rain gauge to do this.
Only issue with Acu-Rite is the aspirated fan does not work worth beans on sunny days. Just curious where in the U.S. are you located Mr. Jefferey?
Sardine Can

Glacier
Weather Enthusiast

Postby Glacier » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:35 pm

Cool, Davis has upgraded the software to weatherlink 2.0. I just have to figure out how to get it back to Celsius.

https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddableP ... 343ab/wide

Return to “Personal Weather Stations”