Spambots

This is the place to start for newcomers and info from the website operators. START HERE!
Hound
Charter Member

Spambots

Postby Hound » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:43 am

Spam is already showing up in the forum. We need to enable an advanced 2 step captcha or question based captcha, or the mods will be busy deleting spam all day.
Fraser Heights, Surrey. (Elevation: 85 M. 278 Ft.)

Leighbugs
Charter Member

Re: Spambots

Postby Leighbugs » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:51 am

Hound, can you explain to me in layman's terms how spambots work? How'd they find us so quickly and it's not an actual person sending them, correct? A person just creates a spam message and an automated system recognizes forums and automatically posts? This is my guess, but I'm not sure. The other thing I wonder about is, why bother?! Has any one person EVER in the history if the Internet actually gone and purchased Louis Vuitton bags after clicking one of these threads? Surely only a complete moron would do so? Or is the spam just meant to annoy people, like a virus?

Hound
Charter Member

Postby Hound » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:01 pm

Well you nailed it pretty much. Spambots are programs used to scan the internet and find forums, and sign up and spam a predetermined message. People who create these types of programs are nothing but trash. It's an absolute waste of time because like you said, who actually clicks that crap and buys something. Personally If I was ruler of the world, spammers would have their hands cut off. Then of course there are the hacker type who do the same thing just to piss off forum communities. Those people generally seem to be outcasts with no social skills seeking revenge on communities that they often get booted from.

rhondle
Site Admin
Former Username: Rhondle

Postby rhondle » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:04 pm

Ah, lovely.

I have to admit I was a bit surprised that they've shown up already. I knew it was inevitable, but I suppose that the other forums are being crawled by them hourly (it's just that they couldn't post) so it was just a matter of them following the links here.

Any suggestions on the best course of action? Lock down newly registered users? Add an additional captcha? (seems that they're able to bypass the built-in one easily enough)

Hound
Charter Member

Postby Hound » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:26 pm

You might have to add a mod/hack to make a better captcha. There are plenty. I still use one on one forum I have. I'm gonna look into to it to how easy it would be to install here.

Hound
Charter Member

Postby Hound » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:58 pm

Rhondle, make sure you delete the spambot member registrations as well so our member count/list isn't artificially inflated.

rhondle
Site Admin

Postby rhondle » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:50 pm

Hound wrote:You might have to add a mod/hack to make a better captcha. There are plenty. I still use one on one forum I have. I'm gonna look into to it to how easy it would be to install here.

I'm investigating a couple of mods... http://nmguse.webfactional.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=941 looks like a good option.

Hound wrote:Rhondle, make sure you delete the spambot member registrations as well so our member count/list isn't artificially inflated.

Will do! I'm just going through it now.

Hound
Charter Member

Postby Hound » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:40 pm

One of the easiest hacks to add is this one: http://bbantispam.com/tc/
I use it on both forums I currently admin for and it works like a charm because the bots can never guess the right question.
If this is still compatible with the latest phpbb I suggest this one due to it's ease of use. If not we can try the one you suggest as well as that one is good, just requires more time to modify the php files etc.

stuffradio
Charter Member

Postby stuffradio » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:51 pm

On this other forums I was a Moderator on, we had to approve the first post for certain forum sections. The only problem with that is if a lot of bots are signing up. So to fix that, we'd have to maybe do what Hound suggested.

rhondle
Site Admin

Postby rhondle » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:26 pm

stuffradio wrote:On this other forums I was a Moderator on, we had to approve the first post for certain forum sections. The only problem with that is if a lot of bots are signing up. So to fix that, we'd have to maybe do what Hound suggested.

Currently i've made the following two changes: New users are restricted in what they can do, and any new posts they make must be approved first. As well, i've changed the default captcha which will hopefully stop the spambots from signing up (assuming it would have to be humans passing the captcha, so with a more difficult captcha it might be enough to keep them at bay)...

I suggest we see how this goes, and if problems arise we'll move to more drastic measures.

Return to “Rules, FAQs, Information, Website Status, News & Updates”